DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax owner

Hazel123

Hello all. Just joined to find other contax owners and info. I was about to sell my S2 until I wrote the sale description and the great things about this camera - and in doing so, talked myself out of selling it! I have owned it since new when I was semi professional. Then life got in the way and I had to change career a couple of times. Also had a G1 and sold that a few years ago. My contax S2 is fully working apart from the light meter. Anyone know if this is replaceable? I’ve managed without it for years perfectly well! But do miss the spot metering. Anyway going to start using it again- if my OH will let me use the bathroom as a dark room). If not I’ll use slide film :)

Hello Hazel123,
I'm delighted that you managed to talk yourself out of selling the S2 as it's a great camera, with or without a meter. Like you I habitually travel with a light-meter - either a Sekonic L408, Minolta IV Flashmeter with 5 degree spot or a Minolta Spotmeter F - and you may have twigged from those meters that I no longer have the S2 but instead have the S2b so need an alternative means of spot-metering when the need arises.

I don't know how difficult it is to repair/replace the S2's light-meter but if you are in the UK or Europe, you might try contacting Julian Abel () as the S2 is not one of the models he's listed as irreparable due to the complete absence of spare parts. He's rescued 2 Contax STs and a RTSIII for me in recent years and is an ex-Kyocera camera technician. I can heartily recommend his work. Also, with such a sophisticated mechanical shutter as featured in the S2, S2b and Preview II, it is worth getting the shutter serviced every 5 or so years so that even 30 years from now, it will still hit those top speeds.

Hello Hazel123,
I'm delighted that you managed to talk yourself out of selling the S2 as it's a great camera, with or without a meter. Like you I habitually travel with a light-meter - either a Sekonic L408, Minolta IV Flashmeter with 5 degree spot or a Minolta Spotmeter F - and you may have twigged from those meters that I no longer have the S2 but instead have the S2b so need an alternative means of spot-metering when the need arises.

I don't know how difficult it is to repair/replace the S2's light-meter but if you are in the UK or Europe, you might try contacting Julian Abel () as the S2 is not one of the models he's listed as irreparable due to the complete absence of spare parts. He's rescued 2 Contax STs and a RTSIII for me in recent years and is an ex-Kyocera camera technician. I can heartily recommend his work. Also, with such a sophisticated mechanical shutter as featured in the S2, S2b and Preview II, it is worth getting the shutter serviced every 5 or so years so that even 30 years from now, it will still hit those top speeds.

Thank you so much! I have emailed him :)

Hi He said there are no parts available but depends if it’s something simple to fix. Another place quoted me £465 !!! For a service which didn’t include any repairs or parts needed. Meanwhile the shutter has jammed again with a film inside. So at the moment it’s a camera shaped paperweight.

Sorry to hear about the jam. Julian is worth a try as he always goes that extra mile. Fingers crossed you get it sorted. If I hear of anyone else that can help, I'll let you know.

Back