DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Sigma at all

I'm considering to buy the SD14 because of the Foveon X3 sensor and also because I currently have 5 AF Lenses I can use with this camera because I'm an SA5 user.

Also I think this outperforms the competition.

The only drawback is video noise as you go higher from ISO 100 onwards according to a review I read.

Marl

The chip certainly attracted me. I found Canon images very flat and I use Nikon at work but really fancied the opportunity of a system that replicated film. Haven't perfected it yet but I like the SD14 esp as it is a down to earth camera like we used to have in the old days!!! Shame there is no hyperfocal distance scale on the lenses!!!! :-((

I agree with that,in addition I wold like to see the independent dials for
aperture and shutter back, like the predecessors had.
Regards
Uwe

Hi James,

All right ... this answer comes late ... but ... you know ...

---- better late, than never ----:D

This forum has been very sleepy for a long time ... the problem simply is that a lot of people "knock the door", to find interesting news then notice, that there is not much to read, because nobody wrote anything ... kind of a vicious circle ... :rolleyes:

I would like to wake up this forum with interesting news, pictures, advice and so on. It is hard to find a start but I am very optimistic that this can work .... in fact I would like others to participate and post their questions, ideas, pictures and news.

I can say that I am quite a dedicated SIGMA-fan and that I would very much like to make English-speaking friends who share my hobby.:z04_photos:

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

P.S.: I started up in 2005 with SIGMA ... most of my knowledge is from different German forums ... our German CI-SIGMA-Forum has become an incredible success ...:z04_bier01:

P.S.2: I think, Uwe is right ... I would like my SD9/10 shutter-dial back to my SD14, too:)

I know that the Sigma SD14 is not the worlds most popular DSLR, so when I found this web site, I did not expect it to be as active as others.

All cameras, whether analog or digital, have limitations. The important consideration is to determine if those limitations are obsticles to the type of photography you're doing. Plus, the camera's operation needs to provide the functionality and control that you're looking for. For me, the SD14 is just what I need.

Prior to my purchase, I contacted Foveon's technical support with questions about the performance of their imager and I also researched the theory and patents behind the technology.

I chose to go with the SD14 because of the Foveon imager and for the level of manual control provided by the SD14, along with the ability to shoot in infrared.

I recently purchased my SD14 along with a Sigma 28 mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro for my first lens. I chose the 28mm since the effective focal length becomes 47.6 mm and it's wide aperture.

I'm planning on also buying Sigma's 10 mm, 17 to 70 mm, and 70 to 300 mm lenses along with an Orion Apex 90mm Maksutov Cassegrain Telescope with a focal length of 1250 mm (2125 mm on the SD14) at f13.9. (I already have a SA Mount to T mount adapter) I will also be buying the optical components to assemble a T mount Pin Hole lens.

Hi Steaphany,
you really digged into it.
It will be interesting to see the results of your experiments here.
Good luck
Uwe

Hello Stephany and welcome to the forum.

Maybe that the SD14 is a bit exotic ... as everything becomes, which runs other than mainstream. :)

Many photographers you meet on the street even look bewildered at your cam .... "A SIGMA??!! ... I thougt they were making lenses?!"

Well, maybe that it is less modern than the brand leaders' products but you can do most brilliant pictures with the cam ... if you do not worry about some little things which are not all that important for image results.

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Hi Klaus . Great Question!

The reason I like Sigma cameras is that this cameras deliver an Image Quality that at times feels 3 Dimensional ,Trompe_l’oeil.

This quality is very subjective and it is not related to Pixel Count . There are now a new crop of over 20 MegaPixel cameras hitting the market , and they still cannot achieve this quality that is unique to the Foveon sensor in spite of its lower Pixel count.

This image for example , shot with the Sigma SD9 and a Leica 19mm f2.8 Elmarit ROM , not only shows that elusive 3D quality , but also shows Delicacy of tone in the Reds with plenty of detail in the highlights, which is a color that all other digital cameras have trouble with.

View attachment 783

I have stayed with the SD9 in spite that I have owned the SD14 , because I feel that the absence of Microlenses on the SD9 takes more advantage of the High Sharpness and Resolving Power of the Leica-R lenses, for example this one shot with a Leica 100f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit:

View attachment 785

Here is my SD9 and Leica 100f2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit plus Apo 2X Extender:

View attachment 784

Luis

Attachments

• 19mm.jpg
    EXIF
    19mm.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG00815.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG00815.jpg