DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Sigma at all

Hi Luis,

I can absolutely underline all of your above findings.
I would never sell my good old SD9 for its high class pixel-sharpness which really might be due to its Foveon TypI-Sensor and its lack of microlenses.
And yes ... image results are visibly 3-dimansional. Even NON-SIGMA-User noticed this effect with my Gallery-pictures in our German C-Info Gallery.

View attachment 812

This is an SD9-macro-shot done with a simple SIGMA 24-70mm. I just turned it around, making use of a NON DESTRUCTIVE automatic RETRO-adapter, I made myself....

http://sigmauserforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62

It is an amazing experience, that you can reach outstanding image quality using very old lenses with the SIGMAs.

This shot I did with a 30 years old VIVITAR 400mm T-Mount telephoto-lens on my SD10.

View attachment 813

Other "3D-like" SD9-shots

View attachment 814 View attachment 815

... which does not mean that SIGMA's SD14 cannot do it as well ... it can!

SD14 + SIGMA 80-400mm EX OS .. / Sd14 + SIGMA 28-80mm HF Macro

View attachment 816 View attachment 817

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• -Sonnenblume1-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Sonnenblume1-.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 45
  • -Strauß-flüchtiger Blick-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Strauß-flüchtiger Blick-.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41
  • -Plattbauchlibelle- .jpg
    EXIF
    -Plattbauchlibelle- .jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 41
  • -Libelle2-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Libelle2-.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 28
  • -Straußenportrait2-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Straußenportrait2-.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 37
  • -Kröte1-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Kröte1-.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 28
Hi Luis,

I can absolutely underline all of your above findings.
I would never sell my good old SD9 for its high class pixel-sharpness which really might be due to its Foveon TypI-Sensor and its lack of microlenses.

Klaus

Very nice images Klaus . Can you imagine what your dedication could do with a Leica lens in your SD9?

I have never offered a mount replacement kit for the SD9 , (The one for the SD14 will not fit the SD9 ) but I am considering making a few ones to explore the interest of the numerous SD9 owners that feel like you and me , that there was a loss of Image Quality with the introduction of microlenses.

What do you think ? What does everybody think about this . ?

Also , when the SD14 really go down in price I will attempt to remove the Microlenses and install the infrared filter right at the sensor , like the SD9 does.

I would like everybody that has an interest in these ideas to either post here or send me an email

Thanks .Luis

... it's me again .... :)

Finally, even the frequently badmouthed POLAROID X530 can produce the SIGMA-effect employing a FOVEON-image sensor.

View attachment 818 View attachment 819

We also have very nice DP1- 3D-shots in our gallery ... unfortunately, I do not own one!

Be it, that A SIGMA is less modern, slower and much more difficult to handle ... it definately can do brilliant pictures with the most vivid colours I can imagine.

SD10 / SIGMA 18-200mm DC

View attachment 820

SD14 / SIGMA 80-400mm EX OS (@400mm)

View attachment 821

Colours ... I say! ;)

View attachment 822 View attachment 823

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• -Schmetterling- 1.jpg
    EXIF
    -Schmetterling- 1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 34
  • -Goldkäfer-.jpg
    EXIF
    -Goldkäfer-.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 44
  • -einfach nett...-.jpg
    EXIF
    -einfach nett...-.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 33
  • -guckst Du-.jpg
    EXIF
    -guckst Du-.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 37
  • -Seerosenteich2-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Seerosenteich2-.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 35
  • -Seerosenteich3-.JPG
    EXIF
    -Seerosenteich3-.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 41
I have never offered a mount replacement kit for the SD9 , (The one for the SD14 will not fit the SD9 ) but I am considering making a few ones to explore the interest of the numerous SD9 owners that feel like you and me , that there was a loss of Image Quality with the introduction of microlenses.

What do you think ? What does everybody think about this . ?

Also , when the SD14 really go down in price I will attempt to remove the Microlenses and install the infrared filter right at the sensor , like the SD9 does.

I would like everybody that has an interest in these ideas to either post here or send me an email

Thanks .Luis

Hallo

I find this idea interesting. Let's open a specific therad for this, so that it does not loose focus. Wait a minute. I will copy this in a new thread just for this...

Best wishes

-------------------

ok, I made a new thread for this idea. Please all discussions about Sigma SD9 modifications there:

http://sigmauserforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126

Viewfinder magnifier available for SD15?

I am seeing a viewfinder magnifier attached to Luis Sigma camera. Can you share info about it, product name, brand, evaluation, etc.?

I am seeing a viewfinder magnifier attached to Luis Sigma camera. Can you share info about it, product name, brand, evaluation, etc.?

If you are referring to my personal SD9 , as shown in this image:

View attachment 2196

It does have a special eye piece that I Custom made using a Canon camera eye piece with the Rubber piece replaced by one from a Movie Camera . Digital SLR light meters are very sensitive to stray light entering through the eye piece. The rubber piece extends out significantly fitting nugly against my face and around my eye providing a much better view and accurate metering.

I have also used the Mamiya and Canon Flip up Magnifying eye pieces but they are not comfortable to my Hand held shooting style. For Tripod mounted close up or Macro I use a Leica Upright viewfinder that has two levels of Magnification . One for Composing (1X) and One for Fine Focus ( 2X). This requires filing the SD9 eye piece frame to reduce its thickness .:

View attachment 2197

Some of the eye shades made in china will fit the SD9 .

----------

Please no excessive link advertising in postings. the moderator.

Attachments

• IMG00815.jpg
    EXIF
    IMG00815.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 2.jpg
    EXIF
    Picture 2.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 13
Yes, custom-made eye piece

I have a little bit of focusing problem. I have to use SD15-built-in diopter compensation dial instead of wearing concave glasses whenever I take pictures as that's cumbersome. Although not all of the pictures taken were not in sharp focus, I have been wondering whether I should wear glasses. The eye piece is not a commercial product, so that's not a solution for crisp focusing. Thanks.

This is something I found for my SD14 a while back...before you do this however you need to look at this link...Disassembling Sigma IR Filter.....

"The article is for D70 but most of it applies to SD14 as well.
For SD14, you'll need a 1.5mm hex wrench (rather than 2mm mentioned in the article). The procedure is not difficult but it takes a lot of time and patience.

The basic mirror box structure of SD14 is the same as D70 Image control:Zoom outZoom 100%Zoom inExpand AllOpen in new window

View attachment 2198

What you'll need to do is to first calibrate manual focus by turning knob 2. If you have back focus problem, then rotate the knob CLOCKWISE bit by bit, checking the focus each time and taking note if it. If over-adjusted (i.e. start having front focus), then turn it back a little. You may have to repeat many times, putting on and taking off the lens and IR filter, and loading the pictures into your PC to check the focus. I suggest you take at least 5 shots each time to reduce chance of error. Once you're happy with the MF accuracy, then do the same with knob 1 to calibrate AF. Again you turn it CLOCKWISE if AF is back focusing. Also, when verifying AF, take a few shots with the lens starting from the nearest focusing distance and another few starting from infinity. This is because I found that the AF motor may occasionally 'overshoot' or 'undershoot' a little, causing very slight ff/bw depending on where it start focusing from, and confusing the results.

I used the focus test chart from this site: Focus Test Chart

I've gone through this twice on my SD14. The first time was done in a hurry (for about an hour) so it not wasn't very precise but acceptable. I did it again last night for a few hours to get better precision. I only calibrated my 30/1.4 (which is my walk-around) and after that both my 70/2.8 and 10-20 became accurate. My guess is that if the mirrors were not properly aligned, different lenses may exhibit different degrees of bf/ff problems making it confusing. Lenses are engineered with very precise registration distance and the manufacturing tolerance shouldn't be as big compared to the mirror box structure (which contains manually adjustable parts such as those knobs).
Note that the sensor/filter may get a lot dust during the lengthy process so expect some cleaning work to do afterwards.
Regards, Joseph Lam (April 5th 2008 - Dpreview.com)"

I have used this procedure twice now to fix both AF and MF focuses on two of my SD14's....it is a slight adjustment...Now I would think that this setup would work with the SD15 as well...if it does would you let us know...

The only other idea that I have is to contact Katzeye Optics to see if they could make you a MF focusing screen for your SD15....I'm gona call them today for my SD14....and see what they say...will let you know...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Attachments

• dslrchartweb500.jpg
    EXIF
    dslrchartweb500.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 12
firstly because they are cheap, i bought a mint sigma sd9 at 700 shutter count with power grip around $250, where a new canon 450d costs $800-$900, turkey.

Sd9 is heavy, i kinda like it since i got used to my zenit and new entry level paper dslr's suffer a lot from my hand shake.

It produces pixel-sharp photos, and pixel level grain reminds me my negative scans.

But i'm also not comfortable with the low effective iso problem, and skin tones cause much trouble to me.

It's big, with power grip and ef 500 st dg flash, you look like a professional photographer, when you try to shoot people at parties, they do not try to avoid you, in the contract, they mostly give poses to you and ask "where can i get these photos?" after you shoot. :p

Well, a friend of mine told me about Foveon sensor a couple of years ago; I had been happy with my canons till that time, but it is like you say wow about a fiat 500 Abarth, until you have driven a Ferrari: just another world.
Shots are 3d, naturally crisp, without additive sharpening and the camera has not lots of unuseful settings and controls, simple and efficient like and old reflex from '80s.
I started with an SD14 and have abandoned all other cameras: also bought an SD10 and a DP2s, plus some lenses. Really satisfied, I surely will not go back to bayer.
Mario

Back