DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 645 Digital Back vs Canon EOS1ds Mark II

Anyone interested in the Kodak 645C back and all accessories please contact Irakly@shanidze.com

Still the only under $10,000. game in town for totally portable digital capture on a Contax 645. This back only has 6330 shots on it. The price is less than a 1DsMKII body, but delivers better results.

Hi Marc,

Do you have any opinions/experience with this back in comparison to the Leica DMR? Some Leica user claim that their images are actually better than this kodak back when printing 16x24. I did a simple calculation by cropping the square format of this kodak back to the 2:3 format of the Leica and it turns out that the number of pixels with the Kodak back is about the same as the Leica DMR (10MP). So, the Kodak back provides approximately the same number of pixels but over a slightly larger area using slightly larger pixels. On the other hand, the Leica claims higher dynamic range due to a "better" A/D converter.

So, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) had any real experience in comparing these two in terms of the resultant image quality?

David

I should add that both Leica DMR and Kodak back use CCD sensors and do not use an AA filter (optional on the Kodak back), so this should be a very interesting comparison.

Back