DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M7 Metering problems

M

mholdef

Had some odd experience this weekend. I loaded some Provia 400 into my M7, and when turning on camera on in Auto mode (with DX set to auto), instead of seeing "400" light up at for first few seconds, I saw "25" as the films speed. The camera seemed to have a mind of its own, and the speed at f8 in bright sunlight even read 1/30 of a second whereas I knew well indeed it had to be in vicinity of 1/500 of a second or so.

Very odd and frustrating to say the least !!! What I finally did was set the films speed manually to 400 ISO and all was OK afterwards.

Has anyone had such experience? Do I need to clean the DX contacts? Could it have been from 30° C heat and humidity?

Mark

Mark

Sorry that I have no sugestions for your M7 DX problem. Just wondering if you have sorted it out yet. Was it camera problem or bad DX code?

regards craig

Mark
I have somehow the same problem as you. On my M7 with DX set to auto at least one or two exposures per film roll go completely wrong. The camera overexposes dramatically. Without DX Auto i. e. Film Speed set manually i get no wrong exposures. BTW, I use normally Kodak RS 400 film, it happened with many other Films too. Strange enough, when switching the camera on, it flashed out always the correct ASA setting (but seemed not to use it).
Regards
Christoph

If when switching the camera on, it flashed out always the correct ASA setting, probably it overexpose or underexpose. Chek your camera sending = to Leica ...

I just recently got an M7 but I tended not to turn off the meter by setting the lock. The batteries died after 2 weeks. Is this normal or does the camera have some sort of "power save" mechanism that is supposed to kick in? Also, the bottom battery tends to want to kick back out and not stay in - does anyone else have this happen ?

If you leave your camera cocked and the lock off and then put it in your camera bag, what happens is that something can touch the shutter button and turn on the meter. Several hours of this can quickly drain your battery. So: 1) Leave your camera uncocked or 2) Lock it off

If it's draining anyway, you may have a genuine issue that you should take up with Leica.

The bottom battery does want to kick out, that's part of the design to make them easier to take out. When you put the battery cap on, it should be fine.

Karen

-- Karen Nakamura http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/

Ken,

Karen's point is a good one.

In my case, the battery also died after about 2 weeks,
but I was adviced (correctly) to buy a new battery
before complaining to Leica.
Sure enough, 7 months have elapsed and still going.
There must be a problem with the original batteries.

Cheers, William

Most manufacturers usually buy the cheapest batteries they can in bulk and keep them in stock for several years. So don't be surprised if your batteries die inordinately quickly the first time around.

Karen

I experienced this, even with my M6TTL. One reason is that, for the M6, which has been around for some time, is that the cameras were manufactured some time ago and packaged with the battery and left on the shop shelves. Batteries do deteriorate over time, even when not in use. My original batteries died after less than a month, but my replacements have been going strong for the better of 6 months.

Melvin HJ Tan

Leica uses Varta batteries...not cheapos. It does depend on how long it's been on the shelf though
I bought my M6 back when they first switched production to Solms (Panda version) I am still using original batteries. Honest!
Colin

Back