DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Focusing a 300mm28 AISnikkormat FT2

R

ramer

I've recently become the proud owner of a 300/2.8 AIS nikkor, and a nice lens it is too. I want to use it for cricket photography with a teleconvertor (gives equivalent 600mm/5.6) which I have, and have recently shot a couple of rolls of film and can see that I'm not consistent with focus; some pics are sharp 60-70% are not sharp enough...

I put this down to the focusing screen which is the original nikkormat FT2 screen; split focus centre with a fresnel ring. There are no problems with camera shake - with a 2.8 speed and 200ASA film I can get a good shutter speed (500th).

What can I do to improve focusing? I have a horrible feeling I'll have to change to a newer/different body that allows me to put in a different focusing screen. Is there a preferred type of focusing screen for long telephoto/manual focus. Or is the focusing screen on a nikkormat ft2 changeable???

Many thanks for any help.

did you use a tripod? especially when you use with the teleconvertor? Whem I use my 300mm, I found great improvment using a tripod, even with shutter speed at 1000th sec!

Ben

yea i gotta agree ........ i'd at least be shooting from a mono-pod ........... the weight .......... your coming in real tight and the 2x will cost some quality with little dept of field...........

shoot on ............

do enjoy the ride.......

gazer

I did use a mono-pod before, however the effects were similar with handheld (not that i did a fair comparison with this two conditions) I think the problems is that my lens is fairly heavy, yet the len is not design to mount on the pod, as a result, because the weight of the camera altogether, the monopod is not stable and hence bad result. I think telephoto with good tripod is necessary.

Like I said in the original post - there are no camera shake problems (yes, I'm using a tripod as I'm at 600mm with the telecon; I don't know anybody who'd hand-hold a lens that long).

Looking through the viewfinder its just plain tricky to nail the focus...

Back