DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Hi Cathy!!
OK EVERYBODY..the Leica bug bit me harder than I thought. I just got back from the camera shop after purchasing a M6. I got the LHSA Black Paint special edition one. Different than the black M6 I was looking for...but still good. I have to wait till my birthday to give it to myself..:)-()
I'll start shopping for a lens. I've got a line on a new 35mm f2..

I live in the very southeast corner of the Denver area.
Jeff in Colorado

Are you near the "Tech Center". I used to work for Hyatt Hotels.

Good for you on the new camera. How exciting. Mine is on lay away until more of the 2002 wedding print and album orders come in. 3 of my brides told me they are working on the image selection for their albums over the weekend. Let me know how you like your new "camera friend" Cathy

Hi, Jeff,
I use M6 0.72 with 35/1.4, and it is an excellent tools. It is quiet, and reliable. One thing special about Leica is that it make you want to use it. I used FM2 before and I liked it a lots because it is also a manual camera, when I bought a F3, it was not the same feeling and I rarely used the AE mode. After using the Leica M6, I love it. After selling the Nikon stuffs including a F100 and some AFS lens. I bought another M6 0.58 with a 50mm/1.4 lens. The combination of 0.58/35mm is excellent because I wear glasses and now I can seen the peripheral and the region outside the frame much better and I gain more from this aspect of a rangefinder. I use the 50mm more and more now as I enjoy people photography and it give a natural prospective similar to what one's eyes see.

I also used G2 before with the 28/45/90 lenses, they are good lenses. The camera is also very different to the Lecia in terms of the ways you take picutre. I can see why people are using it because it is fast and the lenses are good.

The combination of fast and good lens and lack of mirror vibration , hence slower speed in handheld photography, making Leica a powerful tools in taking picutre.

Leica lens are good and sharp. Faster lens gives room for bokeh and short DOF and increased the creativitity capability of a lens ( all other things being equal). When stop down, the quality different between different brand of lens decreased.

When talking about Contax, Leica and Nikkon Canon, all are good lens but with different looks. Any dedicate person using any of these equiment can make wonderful pictures.

I enjoy taking picutre and I only need to staisfy one person: myself, making my opinion worth for 2 cents as I am not a pro.

I know this probably been discussed before but can use the viewfinder edge as a frame for a 28mm lens on the .85x model? i know this is not ideal, but does it work?

Many thanks
Graeme

Graeme,

I read from a Leica M6TTL book that the total view of the 0.72 version is roughly equal to 24mm, and by a bit of imagination, one can use to 24mm without a viewfinder. They do suggested to use one in critical works. I have not got a 0.85 version, but I think that is would be good enough for non-critical work. Get the lens and try it out. and then decide on whether to get an additional viewfinder or not. Bt the way, if you have not got a M6 yet, why not get the 0.72 version. The strengh of a rangefinder is on the wide angle side relatively speaking.

Now that the M6TTL is on its way out of production, does anybody know what (if any) non-battery-depedent rangefinder (i.e., not the M7) Leica is replacing it with?

Something very strange happened to me in Paris, after using my M7 for a couple of months and some 25 or 30 rolls of film, the camera flashed the red dot in the viewfinder and defaulted to ASA 100 while the DX coding should have read 400, the actual film in the camera. For an instant the actual 'bc' flashed in the camera so I attributed this problem to low batteries. I replaced the bateries, but the camera refused to read the correct DX code for two rolls in a row. I wrote Leica and all they did is send me detailed instructions on how to send the camera to solms; what I really wanted was some answers whether this was due to low batteries, but they did not respond, seems their policy is to get the cameras and not provide any explanation or advise in any manner. Can anybody provide any comments or advise. The camera has been working properly eversince but.......I have my doubts now about its reliability

> > Something very strange happened to me in Paris, after using my > M7 for > a couple of months and some 25 or 30 rolls of film, the camera > flashed =================================================================

Use a soft cloth to clean the contacts on the film door and in the film cassette well.. A poor connection will cause this.

Spurred on by an image I saw a while back created by Mark Rabiner with his M6 using studio flash, I tried using my M6 with some Multiblitz flashes at the weekend. I have posted an image in the photo gallery under the title 'First try with M6 with studio flash' under the name sclamb.

I have never really considered using the M6 before but, with the results that I achieved, especially using the 90mm APO ASPH (which this image was taken with), I may start using it a lot more. It is certainly easier to handle that an SLR or the Hasselblad, and the image quality of the 12"X8" print that I made isn't far short of the quality I get from the Hasselblad either.

Thanks Mark for planting the seed.

Simon

Hey Colorado Jeff,

Just letting you know that I too am waiting to use my M6, not until my birthday, although it might be that long (July) but until my 2002 wedding clients finally make their album orders. Clients, can't live with em can't shoot em either. Have a great day to all. Cathy in Atlanta.

Back