DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Digilux 2

Scott, you won't get much noise with the Digilux 1 if you know how to use it.
For simple tricks see: http://tinyurl.com/rv7w/LeicaD1settings.rtf
Your reward will be a superb and 'analog' color rendition that you can't get with any other compact digicam IMHO.
Best,

61121.jpg

I have no experience with the Digilux 1, but I use my Sony DSC-v1 with very good result regardless in pgm, auto or manual modes. Never really needed to do any Photoshop work as I use this camera for p&s.

I have once used this camera with studio strobes and got comparable result with the Contax N1 and Contax 645 judging from sceen and in 4x6 prints. My guess is that I can get good 8x10 prints without much Photoshop adjustment.

I own a Sony V1 as well but i don't use it any more i'm afraid.
Its overall speed and resolution are very good indeed, it shows less noise and its autofocus is way better than the D1's.
But the V1's viewfinder is way too imprecise, its colors show defects in the greens and it lacks the 3D and 'analog' rendition of the Leica.
The Sony gives better results when shooting things than people or landscapes IMHO.
Best,

61131.jpg

61132.jpg

Leica D1 & Nikon SB 20 by Sony V1

Forgot to say that D1 and V1 show approx. the same (shame!) distorsion at wide angle.
61136.gif

I guess that the D2's lens will be better on this point, which is the least at 1850$…
Best,

61137.jpg

LCT, I respectfully disagree with your reply and comments. "You won't get much noise if you know how to use it." Ha Ha Ha. I have run the D1 through extensive tests. I checked your site and have tried much more than even what you suggest. The camera simply is not made to handle high quality images period. Please do not keep defending the camera on noise issues. I hear the statement that it takes good pictures if you just know how to use it all the time. That is plain silly. Of course I know how to use it! No, I do not use auto, etc, etc, etc. I know how to set white balance, contrast, set correct exposure and all else. Let's face it ... the sensor and chip do not perform well!

And, generally speaking, it upsets me when people say that something is a professional camera and that is why people don't like the results because they don't know how to use a professional one. Sillyness! There is nothing you could tell me about the Digilux 1 that I do not know! It has a little nitch, but that's it. high quality images are not part of the camera.

I don't own it anymore as it was stolen, but as a comparison, I had a nikon coolpix 880 and the noise level on that camera was lower and a generation older as far as when the technology came out.

I'll stop before i get really worked up!

Sorry Scott but i don't care about what people may say or write about amateurs, professionals or anything else.
I've simply shot hundreds of pictures with the Digilux 1 for more than one year and a half myself and to me it makes the best images available as far as compact digicams are concerned.
But i print my pics myself which perhaps could explain that we don't 'see' the same things you and me?
Anyway, it's just me you know so if you prefer the Nikon color rendition it is your choice of course!
happy.gif

Best,

61140.jpg

Thanks to you all for sharing your experiences. And from LCT's little comparison, I have the impression that Leica does produce a "richer" colour (at least to my eyes). But could it be a slight difference in exposure which resulted in a relatively "plainer" look of the Sony image?

Back