DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

DSLR Closeup photography

polizonte

Has anyone stacked lenses or used a bellows with a DSLR? I have seen nice digital close-ups, even > 1:1 repro. Though I can't claim to have done anything spectacular with my N8008s film camera, I still balk at switching to digital only because the loss of automation (trial error would be okay) but if much of my other equipment can't be used with a D100, I could never afford to replace a number of items. I have two AF Nikkors, a 28mmD and a 60mm non-D - if stacking a telephoto D lens with a shorter lens would give bellows type results, I would purchase a DSLR and a AF telephoto. I don't want to get into scanning slides...I have been using enlarging lenses and a duplicating lens on PK13 + old Leica tubes w/ a Sunpak555 on a film SLR) Any suggestions?

I came across the same question and some interesting info at dpreview under "Kodak DSLR talk": the response claims AI bellows, including the PB4, PK13 ext tube, are okay but warned about older non-AI accessories possibly damaging the lens mount contacts with repeated use.(on the Kodak 14's). Of course all metering, auto focus, don't work, making trial & error the obvious solution - no surprise. The posting includes a link with ex&les of 10x magnification shot with a Kodak 14 that look nice. A while ago I posted a question about using my old Nikon LF adapter on my new FM3a here at nikoninfo.com; later a dealer told me to call Nikon USA tech support. Nikon said not to use non-AI mounts accessories - someone here said the warning was "covering his own" on Nikon tech's part - Has anyone here used old F mount stuff on the D100 or D70? As far as vignetting is concerned, maybe it is less of a problem with Nikon DSLR's (due to ccd size) than it is with 35mm.

<<Nikon said not to use non-AI mounts accessories - someone here said the warning was "covering his own" on Nikon tech's part - Has anyone here used old F mount stuff on the D100 or D70?>> Only the original FM could use both AI and non-AI lenses.
Nikon is correct. Don't use the old lenses on any AI camera, film or digital. The FM has a little hinge that could be flipped up to allow a non-AI lens to be used. The old lenses will ruin the AI mechanism.

Bob

Thanks Bob - that makes sense. I read that mounting a bellows on DSLR exposes the ccds to more dust than simle lens changes. I would be interested in seeing digital macro work from the nikoninfo group. Tom

Bob-Tom
I have a PB4 Bellows with tilts and shifts and it is a neat unit. But it is non AI. Wonder if it will touch the contacts on a D70? I don't think the D70 has the AI coupler so that is not a problem. Think only the contact problem is all I need to worry about.
Is this correct? The dust problem with a bellows will be another problem.
John

I think Bob Rosen said it all - don't do anything that might invalidate the warranty. I bought a used 105mm 2.8AFD and I would like to see what it can do mounted on a D100 - I ordered a coupling adapter but I still have a few basic bellows and a 50mm EL Nikkor, Novoflex bellows lens, and a 75mm Rodenstock Rodagon R. Too many gadgets...

I just purchased a second used Novoflex bellows -This one meters at full aperture and it came w/a Nikon mount & 105 f4 Novoflex close-up lens, used $99US. No tilts or shifts and I am not sure how good Novoflex lenses are but to a amateur like myself, it looks like a nice set-up.I came across it while looking for a Novoflex to Nikon camera adapter for my Novoflex BAL-S.

I do not see any advantage of using the Novoflex bellows w/Noflexar 105mm f4 (even coupled with the PK13)in place of the Nikkor 105mm 2.8AFD w/o extension tube - the Novoflex's min. f22 aperture and the extension seem to limit DOF & prevent repro greater > 1:1.

Looking to upgrade my lens collection, any comments on the 17mm-55mm DX lens? I'm looking to have a lens that can pretty much be used for all around shooting. I'm also thinking of purchasing a micro lens, I would appreciate any feed back. Thanks,
NomiS

Back