DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cleaning a Zuiko Digital 50mm Macro

johna

Hi all, I've been lurking here for quite some time, it's a very nice forum. Anyhoo, as I was changing over lenses today, I noticed a speck of dust inside (I think) my Zuiko 50mm macro. As a result, I have several questions -

1) Is it possible to get the lens cleaned?
2) Does it affect the performance of the lens?

In regard to 1), I'm not keen on having a look inside the lens myself, so I'm guessing I would have to send it off to get professionally serviced, correct?

In regard to 2), I've taken a few shots of clear sky and gone through on the compy trying to pick up this little speck, but I can't see anything abnormal.

Here is a link to a picture I've taken of the offending piece of dust - http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=429169433&size=o

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

John

Hi John,
I don't think you will notice anything from the annoying dust speck in your pictures. It's not like having dust on a digital sensor.
I would tend not to have the lens cleaned unless it was really bad as I wouldn't want it dismantled except as a last resort.
I think it is just an irritation.
Cheers,
John

Hi there John,

Thanks for the reassurance, the lens is working perfectly and as you said, it is just a minor annoyance. I'm just having a lot of fun with it and the thought of maybe sending it to get serviced was a little disappointing. I'll keep an eye on it (hoo haa!) for the time being.

Thanks,

John.

Hi there John I wouldn't worry about this in any way. I have about a dozen old manual lenses, and none of them could be called pristine. I'm also not the neatest or best organises person in the world, and while I take great care to avoid putting them anywhere they can be scratched, I never worry about dust. So far, I can honestly say there is no material effect on pics from my perspective. If you look at my article here, http://www.gadgetmiser.com/OMLensTest.htm about buying second hand lenses etc, most of them came from pawnshops or ebay dealers, and arrived in varied states of cleanliness, which I have not tried to enhance!
happy.gif
I don't think the resulting shots, if they are weak, are weak due to dust
happy.gif
[Complete incompetence and lack of talent on my part on the other hand ... well, err, let's talk about dust]. Cameras are for taking pictures after all, not for bagging in cellophane - they don't increase in value like that issue of Amazing Fantasy #15 you found air-sealed in Grandad's 1962 Nuclear Fallout Shelter - if your camera/lens doesn't have any dust on it, then it's possibly not being used as much as it should be
happy.gif
! Remember also that us Oly users also have the superdooper-ultrasonic-dust-disintegration-device that prevents dust from becoming too problematic on the sensor, and this largely works, so there is probably minimal risk of contaminating your sensor through lens dust transfer. I am obliged however to caution you that this other article, and in particular, the video in it that I did: http://www.gadgetmiser.com/E500focusscreen.htm has caused great terror among a significant number of Oly users: http://www.minoltaspain.com/foros/index.php?topic=1870 [You'll have to google translate it, I'm afraid, but it's well worth it] - because I didn't soothingly bathe the camera with a natural earth fibre glove, then gently massage with essential oils, before tucking it into a nice, cosy bed sprinkled with lavender and rose petals prior to changing the focus screen. I am by reputation therefore, Atilla the Oly Ravager, and perhaps not the best placed to comment on issues of dust and camera sterility in general
happy.gif
!

Back