DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Help needed...

otumay

Hi,
I seem unable to open some X3F files in SPP. These belong to SD1M, they were shot in 2013 and processed back then. I returned to them to have a second go in processing, but discovered that half of the 600+ raw files could not be opened. I tried SPP versions 5.5.3, 6.8.3 and Iridient Developer. My archives exist in a RAID system and in DVD's. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Osman

Hi,
I seem unable to open some X3F files in SPP. These belong to SD1M, they were shot in 2013 and processed back then. I returned to them to have a second go in processing, but discovered that half of the 600+ raw files could not be opened. I tried SPP versions 5.5.3, 6.8.3 and Iridient Developer. My archives exist in a RAID system and in DVD's. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Osman
You could try the X3F plug-in for Photoshop, other SPP versions from this REPOSITORY. Can you upload one x3f file to the cloud so I can download and see the structure of the X3F file itself?

You can try to copy one of the files totally only in one folder. I suppose you have already tried to open them on another computer. Ok with downloading an X3F of those that give you problems.

Hello otumay The only thing I managed to do was recover the JPGs embedded in the X3Fs with the "XnViewMP" application;

SDIM4702.jpgSDIM4703.jpgSDIM4704.jpgSDIM4705.jpg

I hope Serge has better news for you.

I can't give you any hope yet :confused:
No program will open these files as a Raw. Even Raw Digger. None of the programs can see the built-in jpeg, except XNView MP. I also can't convert them into DNG with Adobe DNG Converter.
The internal structure of the files is corrupted. There's an offset in the file structure and all the files are corrupted in the same way - I have no idea why and now I don't know how to fix it.
At the moment you can only save the embedded jpeg's with XNView.

2023-04-10_23-49-32.jpg

Hi,
Thanks,
Osman
It seems the file were corrupted somehow. Is it the same in both location, HDD and DVD? Do you have any other backups?

I can't give you any hope yet :confused:
No program will open these files as a Raw. Even Raw Digger. None of the programs can see the built-in jpeg, except XNView MP. I also can't convert them into DNG with Adobe DNG Converter.
The internal structure of the files is corrupted. There's an offset in the file structure and all the files are corrupted in the same way - I have no idea why and now I don't know how to fix it.
At the moment you can only save the embedded jpeg's with XNView.

View attachment 877
Serge, thank you for your valuable support. I appreciate the time and effort you have given to these -sadly- corrupted files. I have been shooting digital since 2003 (and with Sigma since 2008), but I have never experienced anything like this. I shall proceed with XnViewMP, as you suggested.
Kind regards,
Osman

Back