DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which is the best 28mm lens

G

I am thinking of buying the 28 f2.8 AIS, but have read the older 28 f3.5 is also very good (and it is alot cheaper). Can anyone tell me about the 28 f3.5?

Steve

I have both the f/2.8 AIS and the f/3.5 (which was converted to AI). By all means, the f/2.8 AIS is by far the superior lens. Having said that, the f/3.5 is a very servicable optic that is an acceptable choice if you don't need CRC or the extra 1/2 stop of the f/2.8. When shopping for an f/3.5, look for a later model with the larger rear element. The earlier ex&les (mine is a mid-life model that also exhibits this) may have problems with corner cut-off when using "standard" thinkness filters - thin rims are the order of the day.

People will no doubt comment on levels of barrel distortion in the f/3.5 - the f/2.8 is relatively distortion free - but I find that for MY normal pictorial use, it isn't much of an issue.

Another f/2.8 you may run across is the AI version which is optically different from the AIS model (&/& vs 8/8). The AI model is OK, but it does NOT have CRC.

Hope this helps...

Steve,
I use a f3.5 daily and have used it for approx 15 years if you like street photography, reportage, any out door work its perfect,remember the goldern rule more photos are let down by camera shake than focus or lens quality.
Now I am going to make a statement and I hope lots of you disagree and we start a nice thread.If a photographer buys a 28F3.5 on ebay for £35.00 and a EM for £40 the photographer has a tool which up to 6x9inch print is the equal of ANY 35mm.In fact I have been looking and working in this direction for a long time now (I use a FE instead of the EM)I'm convinced the principle has some little merit, any way I look forward to being shot down in flames by someone who has a better argument.
Ianh

Thanks Ian, I tend to agree with you about the camera shake and the lens quality/print size stuff. I am sure many will disagree and they may have a point, but for most practical purposes you are probably correct.

Steve

I use 28/3.5 N (noncoated) and tried to compare with the modern ais lens, and all what Bob said above is correct. I would like to add that the old lens when working in cloudy days the image color may a little bit comfortable and less contrastier than the new lens.

when I started using 35mm in 1960 I was told " all lenses are equal at F8" it was good advice then and still holds good.
And size is important; especially when you have been carrying it for an hour or so; so is screen brightness, camera shake, poor focus etc. Puts f3.5v2.8 in focus?

JON GIBBS wrote: when I started using 35mm in 1960 I was told " all lenses are equal at F8" it was good advice then and still holds good. And size is important; especially when you have been carrying it for an hour or so; so is screen rightness, camera shake, poor focus etc. Puts f3.5v2.8 in focus?

IMO, the 28mm f/2.8 AIS is the best bang for the buck. It focuses real close and has CRC. The distortion levels are very low and the lens is very sharp.

Bob Fowler crazybob2525@yahoo.com

>

Although I did not need them, I simply had to buy a 50mm f1.4 normal lens and a 28mm f3.5 wide-angle lens when I found them for a cheap price at a garage sale. I later sold the 50mm for a profit. I kept the 28mm because I discovered that it was one of the best lenses for shooting extreme close-ups (4X to 10X) by mounting it in the reverse position on a bellows unit.

Hello,

I know I am little late because I just signed up this membership. What about 28/2? I love it so much. It is really fast and sharp lens. Of course it is more expensive than 28/2.8 and 28/3.5.

Thanks,
Kian-Guan Au

Back