DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SF 20 Flash

G

Hello, Can anyone tell me what the recycle rate of the SF 20 Flash is? Also, I read that it is a variable rate, does it recycle faster if one puts it on a lesser power? I use the m6 non-ttl. I rarely use flash, but when I need it I need it. I had picked up a used Nikon SB-18 which is nice and small except it takes 10 seconds to recycle. I see that the Nikon SB 23 only takes 2 seconds to recharge. That I can deal with! Thanks for any advice, garth

Garth,

Just like any flash it really depends on the how much flash power you used. Times you quoted for the Nikon seem to be for full power flash recycle times as well.

Dear Garth
I use the SF20 now and then. From my experience I can tell it refreshes faster than I can transport the film. Of course it depends on how much power the precedent flash used but on short distances (less than 5 m and f 5,6) it does not make much difference. I like the SF20 very much. Fast, nice to look and pretty small too.

I'm looking for a flash for my M6TTL. I've been using my older vivitar 283s but they are too big. I was going to get the SF20 but thought I should ask the forum if there is another brand Metz (?) that I should look at before I purchase... I do want to use the TTL function...something I've never used before... thanks

Try the Metz 54MZ-3. I use it with my M6ttl with great results. Make sure to get it with the Leica module (this is what let's you use the TTL feature). I was talked out fo the SF 20, it's not powerful enough, no bounce flash feature, etc. Hope this helps.

____________________________ Jon Furer

> [I did some research on both the Metz 54 (?) and the SF 20. As always it comes down to the type of shooting you are going to do. I am not a studio nor wedding photograper so I went with the SF 20. The Metz is at least twice the cost of the Leica flash. Note: my feelings about a flash on a Leica are the same as a Porsche with an automatic transmission...And yes as many reviews have mentioned the SF 20 feels very flimsy.]

I've been using the SB-20 for a couple of years and have been pretty satisfied. It's lightweight and does a fairly good job on most subjects. It does feel somewhat flimsy, but I haven't had any problems with it at all in terms of durability. In fact, in most cases I am glad it's a little lighter. I don't use a lot of flash with my M6 and if that sounds like you, I'd pocket the additional $200 and spend it on a new Leica lens cap! ;-)

>[Details about the Salgado exhibity in Chicago -- along with thanks to >Clive Moss for aiming the URL my way. People interested in making this a >Chicago LUG outing can contact me off-list.

http://www.ci.chi.il.us/Tourism/CulturalCenter/July/Exhibitions/ExhibitHall.html

Sebastião Salgado - Migrations: Humanity in Transition and The Children July 26 - September 28 (also on display in Yates Gallery)

This fascinating collection of approximately 320 black-and-white photographs by Sebastião Salgado, taken in over 35 countries, documents the astounding phenomenon of mass migration. Photographs survey Latin Americans entering the United States, Jews leaving the former Soviet Union, Africans traveling into Europe, and Bosnian refugees in Croatia, among many other diverse and displaced groups. Salgado's carefully contemplated work enhances the viewer's understanding of a changing global consciousness, and effectively reveals some profound implications of a world in transition. This major internationally traveling exhibition is organized by Aperture and is curated by Lélia Wanick Salgado. Presented by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and The Chicago Public Library. Supported in part by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. Works are also on display at Harold Washington Library Center.]

I've been using the SB-20 for a couple of years and have been pretty satisfied. It's lightweight and does a fairly good job on most subjects. It does feel somewhat flimsy, but I haven't had any problems with it at all in terms of durability. In fact, in most cases I am glad it's a little lighter. I don't use a lot of flash with my M6 and if that sounds like you, I'd pocket the additional $200 and spend it on a new Leica lens cap

==========================================================

Ask yourselves this: In case of an "OOPS! Oh Shit !", which would you rather see break, the plastic foot on that "flimsy" flash, OR the top plate (and perhaps rangefinder ) on your very expensive camera ?

This was the same discussion twenty or so years ago when the pros started using the "flimsy" Vivitar.

I am happy enough with the SF 20 . Its main defect is its head does not bounce. But its price is reasonable , it is very light and pretty flexible. For serious work I would not recommend it ( I like bounce flash ). To carry it without effort and use it ocassionaly , I think it is very good. It does not feel as a Leica body but it does not weight 600gr. either and fits anywhere. Hope this helps.

Back