DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Silpon filter for Zeiss Distagon 25/2.8

G

In the manual for the lenses there is the words

Slipp-on filter diametr 59 mm
filter thread M 55 x 0.75

Please tell what this mean and what should be the filter. Thank you.

Hello Nikolai,

you've got both options: using a screw-in or a slip-on filter. Just use the one you prefer.
I think screw-in filters are more commononly available.

Matthias

> I think the slip-on filters and hood may have been from the very early days. They soon abandon it for the srew-in stuff so you can't use a filter and a hood together like other companies. I've looked every where I can think for this stuff to see if it'd solve the vignetting issue. I even asked the "old guard" from Contax Canada from the time when Contax was a real player here, and they couldn't remember seeing the slip-on stuff. Anybody else have better luck?

I own the two original slip-on hoods (Nr. 1 and 2, as I remember) from the early days for lenses from 25 mm on. They work together with the CONTAX filters (spezial diameter necessary) and look better then the actual Nr. 11 and 12, because of their form and material. I don´t remember my slides to be vinetted.

Today I mostly use the metal hood Nr. 1 with 55/86 ring and the CONTAX E55 filter. It´s big, but no vignetting with slides to notice. That´s not for polarizing filter.
Metal hood Nr. 2 doesn´t work either with 25, nor 28 mm in practise.

Slip-on filters were common until the late 70th, mostly chrom finish from brands like heliopan. Mostly without coating. CONTAX never sold this type, as long as I know.

But there is the CONTAX 70 mm slip-on filter adapter for screw-in filters at the Distagon 18mm at least.

Stefan wrote: But there is the CONTAX 70 mm slip-on filter adapter for screw-in filters at the Distagon 18mm at least.

Could elaborate on this? I am about to receive an 18mm f4 purchased from Ebay and am sturggling with the cost of polarizer for this lens. The specs call for an 86mm filter by using a 70/86mm step up ring. The 70mm slip-on filter adapter that you refer then uses what size filter? Thanks, Edward

>I am about to receive an 18mm f4 purchased from >Ebay and am sturggling with the cost of >polarizer for this lens. The specs call for an >86mm filter by using a 70/86mm step up ring. The >70mm slip-on filter adapter that you refer then >uses what size filter?

------------------------------
Did you resolve this issue, I to have just received an 18mm lens and trying to work out what to do with filters and hoods

Back