DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sony to consider developing body for Contax N Mount

First, I agree with Joseph that Sony makes killer digital P&S camera. I bought a V1 couple years ago and it produce one of the best images I’ve ever seen even in today’s standard. I used it with an external Sony flash (bigger than the V1 camera body) and it made wonderful flash photography because the camera can be set in pgm, Tv, Av and pure manual mode. That body has a optical viewfinder which I like. I went to HK last Feb 2004 and looked at the 828 at Sony show rm. The EVF is a piece of crap, so I decided I need a real dSLR. I ordered an ND from a US dealer while I was still vacationing in HK. I can’t be happier with the ND except for the hi ISO, poor battery life and lack of RAW software support. Going to the ND is a logical route for the people invested in N-mount lens, and it was (and still is) one of the very few full frame body available at the time. Eventually, I sink big bucks in Canon dSLR and its L glasses for my paid gigs.

I have not looked at the R1 and I should not make any comment. From Joseph's s&les, I am impressed with the "no-franging" from a hi-contrast scene. The reason I write this because of my personal experience going to the digital photography world. For those considering going digital, I must warn you that try to decide want you need and go straight to that gear. Have you heard of the story from Photo.net that one guy spent eventually $1700 for the tripod+head that really worked for him at the end. He wasted so much money and time because he started a mediocre gear and keep upgrading. Sure, I understand we all have to start somewhere because of the budget. So plan carefully. Did I feel I wasted $600 for the V1, no, it is because I gave it to my brother in HK. He and his wife were blown away from the image quality from the V1. I really feel wasted $400+ for the Contax U4R I got few months back for my wife. Well made camera but the image quality is really shitty especially it is a relative new camera from Contax.

As I mentioned earlier, ND really comes back to life because of the Adobe ACR and Bridge.

DJ, I heard your frustration. Who wants to stuck with the Nikon 1.5x sensor limitation. Can’t one use current c-y mounts with Nikon adaptors? If Zeiss really goes with the ZF, like the ZM, I think this company stuck in the past (50’s, 60’s) and limit its market to the older hardcore zeiss supporters in stead of going into the future.

Personally, I won’t have hi hope for Zeiss in the next Photokina. Remember how disappointing we were from the last one, especially with Kyocera. What I really hope for is a cheaper digital back for the C645.

I apologize for this long post. Slow day at work. Do I sound angry with Contax? No, I am way over it. When you have no expectation, there is no disappointment.

Happy Holidays!

Indeed, Albert. Two sets of words of wisdom come to mind:

1. Buy cheap, buy twice
2. No expectation, no frustration

Happy Holidays to all!

DJ

Part of the reason that I have been dealing with Sony so often is that her digital cameras are more tuned to produce the Zeiss look. If you are used to the typical colour tone of Contax cameras, you will also find a similar reproduction of these tones by Sony. The photo showed earlier in this panel looks very "Zeiss" to me. This colour tone cannot be reproduce by using Zeiss lenses on Canon bodies, the ''Zeiss" feel is just not there.

John,

if you wish to have large screens, try Sony's T series, they all have ginormous screens

Merry Christmas !

Thanks Joseph. I'll have a look at them.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone.

John

"This colour tone cannot be reproduce by using Zeiss lenses on Canon bodies, the ''Zeiss" feel is just not there."

Huh? Sorry to be contrary again. This has everything to do with how your file management is set up in post processing, and little to do with how the camera is "tuned".

Canon camera jpegs can be tuned in any way you wish, just like with about any digital camera of that stature including the ND. Different profiles can be put into sets and selected at will.

But RAW is where it's at. So, more important is how you set up RAW defaults in ARC for certain cameras and personal tastes. I have RAW default profile for each camera set in ARC. Leica DMR defaults are different than those set up for Canon ... and you can set up a default for Zeiss lenses on Canon cameras or Leica R lenses on Canons. Load a CF card select the RAW default for that camera and it stays there until you change it.

All the qualities of the Zeiss lenses like micro contrast, 3D pop, and color cast are abundantly apparent when used on a Canon digital camera ... if the file is processed correctly. It is the lenses that differ, and RAW defaults need to be set up to take advantage of those characteristics.

For ex&le, IMO the comparison you showed above is slanted to make the R1 point, when in fact the Canon 10D file is the best of the three by a long shot ... if it had been set up correctly going in.

The shot of the walkers and path is a very nice photograph Joseph, however the highlight areas are devoid of any tone and read 0 on the info dialog panel ... which means they cannot be recovered.

I know you really don't like anyone challenging your authority, but all I'm saying is please just present your enthusiasm for a product without denigrating another ... especially with claims that are not taking into account the reality and limitations of each system or important aspects like in camera options and post processing settings.

419251.jpg

Marc,
I just wonder how you learn about "tuning" and so on and if it is by trial and error like most things. Also do you know if the R1 can be "tuned".
Best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year.
John

John, I just wrote Dirk an explanation of how to set up Camera RAW default settings for a specific camera. It involves shooting a grey card strip/color chart in neutral lighting, and balancing the whites (color temp & Hue), as well as tweaking contrast/brightness/exposure default settings... then saving that set for future work.

I'm sure the R1 can be set up in-camera for some control of jpgs ... most D cameras can ... like altering saturation and contrast combinations for different lighting conditions ... then save them as sets for recall when needed.

But I only shoot RAW files and don't rely on in-camera processing. Since I shoot thousands of images, it heightens the importance of refining RAW default settings.

Funny how we've become the lab techs for all this.

"This colour tone cannot be reproduce by using Zeiss lenses on Canon bodies, the ''Zeiss" feel is just not there."

And you're lumping an EOS 10D with the EOS 1D MkII, 5D and 1Ds MkII ...

OK, I'm not even going to go there! Tell you what, Joseph, you keep your Sony R1, I'll keep my 1DsII and Zeiss / Leica lenses, and we'll both be happy even though your pictures will be much more "Zeiss" than mine, especially when I use the Leica lenses
biggrin.gif

Happy Holidays to all!

DJ, this is where the origins of my headache.

I suppose before becoming a qualified lab tech, I really have to get all these headaches first.

Cheers.

Back