DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Quick Release PlateBall Head for RX

G

Hi,

I am using the Gitzo ball head with Quick Release for my SLR. When the 100mm macro lens is attached to the RX and try some vertical shots, the camera tends to swing. The screw on the quick release plate comes loose due to the weight of the 100mm lens. Can someone suggest a better ball head? Or can I just replace the screw?

Thanks in advance...

Yes, the Arca-Swiss ballheads are considered by many to be the best there are (but quite costy). And, compatible camera-specific QR plates are available from reallyrightstuff.com. They have lips that curve around the baseplate edge to prevent the body from twisting out of position. (The Arca baseplates aren't as good as their ballheads.)

This combination would give you rock-solid support on any good tripod.

--Rick

Bogen makes several no-slip QR plates for some of their pan/tilt heads. One that I use is the 3030 head w/3157nr QR plate. There might also be ballhead models that use this plate. May be a less expensive alternative to the Arca.

Dave

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've taken a look at all of them. Looks like I'll go for the Arca-Swiss...

Back