CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Found this on ebay

S

Stevied

Hi, I was perusing the different camera gear avaiable on ebay and found this (copied and pasted below). I would be interested in any and all comments with regards to this obvious hijacking/piracy of Canon software. Apart from the fact that any t&ering with the software would more than likely make all warranties null and void.
I just wondered what others thought?

>>The 6.3 megapixel EOS 300D/Digital Rebel is based on the same CMOS sensor and DIGIC microprocessor as the EOS-10D, a more expensive digital SLR from Canon. After noticing the similarities between these two models I arrived at the conclusion that the EOS 300D/Digital Rebel uses the same programming code as the EOS-10D with some functionality disabled. After closer analysis, I confirmed that only several lines of code were different, and that the Custom Functions menu, which is incorporated in the EOS-10D and the EOS 300D Rebel, is disabled on the EOS 300D Digital Rebel. A simple rewrite of the entire code was all that was needed. Since the EOS 300D Digital Rebel’s CMOS programming blocks certain subroutines, not all functions were available in the menu. But my easy, simple to do procedure will unlock these higher-end digital SLR features. No need to pay the big bucks for the EOS-10D!
The factory deliberately "dummies" up the Rebel's programming code so it can be sold as a lower end model. It is virtually the same camera inside as the EOS 10D!<<

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Steve

The answer to life the universe and everything is 42

uj78

In reality what is different about modifying the software used to operate a= =20 camera you own. Or for instance installing a PC socket in a Canon T90 which=20= =20 did not come with one. In both cases you are improving the function of the =20 camera in both cases you are doing it with the camera and adding something t= o =20 it . If the guy is charging for his version of the software they how is this= =20 really any different if my repairman charges me $25.00 to install the PC =20 socket. let Canon worry about it.=20 =20

S

Stevied

Hi Mark,

Excellent point hadnt really considered it from that angle, it would be interesting to know if performing the actions mentioned in the software would invalidate any warranties though.

Thanks again for putting another angle on things

Steve

S

Steffen

Hi Steve,

it is true that some features that can be enabled through the 10D's custom functions are also available for the 300D - all you habe to do is use a modified firmware. Check out this link:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

This firmware gives you the full custom functions menu, but still some features like 2nd curtain sync won't work.

"A simple rewrite of the entire code was all that was needed" - as far as I know only a single byte in the code has been changed, and the guy is charging for something he probably downloaded himself, the cracked firmware is available for free on the net.

Please keep in mind that an update with an unoffial firmware is on your own risk and might violate your warranty!

uj78

Maybe it's because I'm also a fan of Douglas Adams, I sure that if Canon wanted to mess with your ability to have something you have modifed serviced for free they would not have a problem doing just that. Not a problem for me they abandoned the Canon stuff I use about 20 years ago.

S

Stevied

Hi Mark,

Maybe its because of connection through Douglas Adams or maybe the photography connection. I must admit I am officially jealous of your photography experience as my own for the last 47 years has been from a purely an admiration point of view. Now I am finding that there is more to taking those shots I admired so much, much more than just pointing the camera and hoping for the best. I am hoping today to get some decent shots of a pond near our farm that has literally hundreds of Canadian geese on it, now that is going to be an exercise of futility Im sure as if your spotted by one of them they are take flight now that might make a neat shot but its a case of wait and see.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend

Steve

jsmisc

Hello Steve,
Pardon my ignorance and curiosity but what is the significance of 42?
Best wishes,
John

S

Stevied

Hi John,

The quote is from a radio broadcast originally by the BBC in Great Britain. Of a story written by Douglas Adams titled The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy. It has been made into book and film, its the hilarious story of the last human being on a crazy journey through space on a quest to find the answer to life the universe and everything, when he finally reaches the restaurant at the end of the universe he finds the answer is 42. I "highly" recommend reading the book or if you can find a copy of the film (in my opinion they are both worth finding) it is extremely funny, if you appreciate zany humour.

Glad to be of help, maybe you can help me with some photography questions at some point.

Steve (the Brit, who in another 2 years will be applying for US citizenship)

jsmisc

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I missed the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy . I'm sure I would have enjoyed it as I have heard lots about it. Sorry we are losing you to the USA, their gain I am sure.

gstaylor

Don't Panic!
The Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy motion picture is due out in May 2005. Grab your towel and hang on!

Geez, this string of info has taken a funny turn.

jsmisc

I shall watch out for the film.

S

Stevied

Hi Charles,

If you find out what the new position is please be sure to let us all know.

Steve

S

Stevied

Hi John

ME TOO!

Steve