DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

AF problems with Maxxum 7

T

tripnwithdaisy

Hello, I'm new to this site and the new owner of a maxxum 7, fairly new to the photography world and I'm worried to death either me or my husband has messed something up. Today when I got it out to take some pics of the kids I noticed the focus acting a little funny. I use it on full auto and when I push the shutter release to focus, it seems to "turn" a tiny bit. I have to keep pushing the shutter release 2-4 times to get it to focus fully. Does anyone know whats going on? Or am I just over-paranoid? It's a cloudy day today and was wondering if that could have anything to do with it. Hope I don't sound too much like an idiot. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Anita

Anita,

How new are you to photography? I really don't want to insult you by giving an overly obvious answer, but are you waiting for the camera to focus completely (while you're pushing lightly on the button) before depressing the button completely to take the photo?

Surprisingly, even here in Japan I'm always hesitant to let a passerby take my picture with my camera, since the uninitiated almost always fail to grasp the niceties of using an AF SLR, like the Maxxum 7.

Unlike a smaller point-and-shoot, your maxxum has a fair amount of glass to turn in order to focus properly, so you need to give it a moment to focus properly before taking the picture.

Please forgive me if I'm being insulting by telling you something you already know--perhaps I misunderstood your description of the problem.

-Seth

Seth,

Trust me, you're not insulting. When i press the shutter release halfway, the focusing goes crazy, just back and forth real fast, and half the time the focus isn't correct. I'm very new to this kind of camera, so right now i'm just using the full auto mode. I read somewhere if you mess with some of the controls while in full auto, it will damage it. So, i'm going crazy thinking i've messed up big time. I've only had it for a week and don't know if this is normal.

Before this, i was using point and shoot cameras. This is my first "real" camera. Definately going to take some classes!

Thanks so much, Anita

Anita,

Try this and see what happens: Instead of full auto (the green "P"), try regular auto (the white "P"). Set your autofocus point for the center of the frame (the instruction manual can probably explain this better than I can without pictures, but it's very easy). Now try focusing on something again, and put the object you want to focus on in the center of your frame. Once it's focused, you can either shoot the picture as is, or reposition the subject before shooting--as long as you don't take your finger off the half-way depressed button! If you let go, you have to start all over again.

The reason I recommend the white "P" instead of the green "P" is that in full-auto mode, the camera tries to "guess" what you want to focus on, and frankly I am sometimes confused by the decisions it makes (you may notice that the red dot in the finder indicating your focus point moves around alot). I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but it's one idea. Let me know how it goes!

-Seth

Anita,

after making the settings as Seth has described, try to focus on something which is NOT moving and with a high contrast. The best would be a page of a book. Focus on the letters. This gives you the security that the AF is not hunting for i.e. moving flowers in the wind etc.

But please bear in mind that you only press the shutter half-way down once and "freeze" your finger in this position. As soon as you lift the finger and press again halfway down, the camera is again searching for the best AF position.

You have to get used to this, since this certain point is with every camera differently. Some camera need more pressure on the button, some less. Exercise this as often as you can that you get familiar with this "feeling" of the right pressure for holding the focus.

Then tell us afterwards whether this has helped. And check the manual in case you changed some kind of setting without realizing it.

Anita,

The webmaster gives good advice indeed.

Oh, yes, one more thought: Keep the focus mode switch (on the front of your camera) set to "A". This should cover you for most situations. If this is set to "C", your camera will continuously hunt for the focus without ceasing.

>

Hello and welcome, Anita!

Too bad your camera is misbehaving! That must be quite frustrating, eh?

Try removing and re-installing the lens, and also changing the battery for a new battery even if the old battery appears okay (you should always have a fresh spare battery on hand anyway), what I'm really recommending here is cleaning and realigning the electrical contacts.

Was it raining? Is there water on the accessory flash shoe contacts? Dry it off.

Some people get so frustrated that they put the camera down and don't touch it for a week or two, and then, when they do get brave enough to pick it up again, the water has dried and the camera is okay!

Also, tell us what kind of lens it is - make, mm focal length range(s), and f/stop aperture range.

Got another lens?

Try one at a local camera store, and also try your lens on another camera!

Local camera stores are a great source of spare parts for troubleshooting - you don't even have to tell them you have a problem at first!

You can say you are looking for a second setup, for a friend or as a second setup to carry with, say, different film, when you go shooting - they'll understand: you want to spend more money, and they'll cater to you!!!

If the problem manifests while trying their stuff, they will want to fix it for you to make the sale, and you win!

Also, like the others said, go through the owner's manual and confirm by setting and resetting all the switches to make sure they are in the "normal" default settings. My camera often gets bumped going into and out of the camera bag, and I have to check the switch and knob positions, too before it behaves normal again.

Finally, never underestimate the power of getting it serviced. Where'd you buy it? What does the store say when you show them the problem? Have you contacted your Minolta distributor? What did they say? You may actually have a broken camera, or a broken lens - not physically broken like in two pieces, but defective or malfunctioning on some way!

And, please tell us what you do!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise Monahon Minolta Photographer peterblaise@yahoo.com http://groups.yahoo.com/group/peterblaisephotography/ and http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS - Don't forget http://groups.yahoo.com/group/minoltalistrules if you really want to have extended OT Off Topic and Rules discussions.

Back