DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Problems with Nikon D100

C

clarktm

I have 2 Nikons D100's and every time I take a picture with 2 each flash SB-80DX TTL indoors the pictures turns out Dark. I can enhance the picture after the fact with The White Balance increase of about +1.50. That works great. I have tried to increase the cameras WB through the cameras menu but it has no effect. Both cameras and flash do the smae thing. Any help would be great. Tom

Your problem stems from the fact that the idiots at Nikon devised a TTL flash system that won't do multiple TTL flash with the digital SLR's. You have to revert to either manual mode or non-TTL (sensor) automatic mode. The monitor preflashes cause the TTL slaves to fire an instant too soon, thereby causing the underexposure. The monitor preflash is necessary for TTL calculations with the D1's and D100, but can be turned off on the film bodies. Why Nikon would expect its customers to spend over $300 a piece for fancy SB-80DX flashes, then have to use them like 25-year-old Vivitar 283's on their most expensive bodies is beyond me. Canon was able to devise a TTL system that works wirelessly in TTL mode with their digital cameras, including power ratio capability. Nikon recently "caught up" with the i-TTL system in the upcoming SB-800. Unfortunately, the only body it will work with in this mode is the D2H. So, if you want/need multiple wireless TTL flash at the D100 price point, you'll need to wait for a "D200" and get new strobes. Or, go Canon. Personally, I just bought a D100 but have yet to buy any flashes for it (I have to replace my SB-25 anyway). I'm waiting to see how much the SB-800 costs before I get an SB-80DX. (The SB-800 works like an 80DX on the D1/D100.)

Lloyd

By the way, according to my reading of Nikon literature and phone conversations with them, multiple TTL flash won't work if you wire (SC-18/19) the SB-80DX's together either. Dumb.

Lloyd

That kind of stuff bothers me to. Olympus in 1975 allowed up to 9 flash units and the OM 2 still applied OTF TTL for the exposure. The system really works. I purchased a 203FE because it has “OTF“, as I really liked the idea and the way it works on my OM 2, but if you need it to work on the 203FE you have to do so in Manual Mode "per Hassleblad" or the shutter will stay open to expose the background for e.g. So much for advancement.

Better Luck
Gilbert

My approach to solving the problem of dark images taken with the D100 is to resolve the metering question. When the D100 is set to matrix metering the dark images taken with sb80dx becomes obvious. If you try spot or cetre metering the result you'll obtain is outstanding, at least with my D100. I hope this helps.
Inno'

Is panning technique still relevant in today's photography when you can capture your image at 1/8000" sharp and blur motion the backgroud with fotoshop? any comments?

That is like questioning the validity of learning proper English; why should we learn it since the computer will correct anything fast and efficiently, and while we are at it let's just replace the teachers and books with software programs - the question now becomes: who will teach the programmers and what exactly do they pass on??!!

Hi

Does any one have any experence or any advice regarding the F50?

Cheers

Andre

>The F50 was my companion for 10 years of travel through out europe and new england. > You can't expect much of that camera feature-, AF speed- or shooting speedwise, but it makes a nice beginner or back up camera. On the plus side it is very compact and balances well with light "amateur" lenses (don't try to put on a 80-200/2.8 for handheld shooting) The only problems I had with it were the buttons for the menus - it slowed shooting down too much - and missing spot metering.

> I agree with you Joy, that learning the various techniques such as > panning may still be relevant in contemporary photography but my doubt > is the application of 'panning' technique in particular which in the > main produces softer images when not desired. Please note my > distinction between learning a process and its application. It then > follows that if a process will be irrelevant in practice why spend > time to learn it???

Back