DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Namibia

ulrik

Hi,
I will be visting Namibia this year for 4 weeks around August with my family. I have rented a 4WD with two rooftents. My photograpic interest is widespread, from landscape to wildlife, people etc. I am currently thinking what of my Hasselblad-V-gear I should take with me (there is plenty to chose from but space is limited). Is there somebody out there with specific experience? I have been using Hasselblads for many years on many sorts of trips but at least the African wildlife aspect is new to me.

Ulrik

Good Afternoon Ulrik--

Just saw your thread and although I did not find that he used Hasselblad V items, Michael Reichman at luminous-landscape dot com did use the H System on one trip to Namibia. You will find at least 10 articles on visiting Namibia on the luminous-landscape pages that might interest you. If you will use the search engine on the left side of his home page and type in Namibia you will find a list of the articles.
Hope that you have a really great trip.

Don

Hi,
I will be visting Namibia this year for 4 weeks around August with my family. I have rented a 4WD with two rooftents. My photograpic interest is widespread, from landscape to wildlife, people etc. I am currently thinking what of my Hasselblad-V-gear I should take with me (there is plenty to chose from but space is limited). Is there somebody out there with specific experience? I have been using Hasselblads for many years on many sorts of trips but at least the African wildlife aspect is new to me.

Ulrik

I personally prefer bringing a 50 mm, a 150 and 250 (the F4), together with a 2x extender. This is my prefereed choice for combining landscape and wildlife. The 150 could be exchanged for an 80 or a 100 mm. The wildlife may need different lenses depending if its a herd, could use wideangles for that, or single animals, distance and if you want some environment or just the parts of the animal in sight. Be prepared that for lionger distances even 500 mm can be too short. However if you can get close these focal distances covers it for me. If you want wider you sometmes need some nice foreground which is not always the case. Some times I actually orefer the norma 80 mm in front of wide angles.

This set is of course for fil and not for cripped digital. I also find myself sometimes encumbered with the amount of swithces I can do between lenses when family is arund so some pragamtic choices has to be made as to how many lenses to bring. I also only bring my equipment as carry on so thats also a limitation. In economy class its usually about 8 kilos, some times 10.

In a car you can often get closer to the animals than while walking.

Good luck,

Ronald

I'd like to add that it can be nice with a 90 degree prism when shooting wildlife because yuo'll find them faster than with a 45. I personally thogh find it more difficult to focus due to the smaller magnification of the 90 degree PM90 compared to the 45 degree prisms.

Ronald

Back