CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

FS 500mm F8

Trader history for jdm (0)

jdm

I have a Zeiss Mirotar 8/500 lens for sale. Given the range of telephoto lenses I have 85mm, 170mm (85+Mutar I), 300mm, 500mm,and 600mm (300+Mutar II), the 500mm is a bit redundant for me. With the holidays coming, I'm selling my non-essentials - see AX for sale in previous post. I have pictures of the lens from every angle that I can send or post. Includes leather pouch and MDF charts, but no box. Asking price is $625 USD plus shipping.

pedels

Hi John,If you still have the lens what is your personel opinin of the photos taken with it, and can you send me photos of the lens.

jdm

The lens can produce some excellent images. Compared to the Zeiss 300mm f4 it is not quite as sharp and is a bit more difficult to focus due to the image in the viewfinder being less bright. A better comparison would be against the 600mm f8 of the 300mm f4 + 2x Mutar II. I that comparison the viewfinder image is about the same and the picture sharpness near equivalent, with the 600mm being slightly sharper. I will get some scans made of pictures that I have taken with the lens and post them here:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I currently have pictures of the lens and the AX body that I am also selling posted there.

The big advantage of the 500mm f8 lens is that it is extremely compact. The 300m f4 lens is much longer and more heavy, much more so with the 600mm combo.

I got the 500mm lens thinking that it would be the perfect air show lens, but at the recent Miramar air show, it proved to be too much telephoto for most of my shots. The 300mm was better for framing and tracking close-in fast moving jets.

jdm

I have added some pictures that I have taken with the lens as well as a comparison of the same image taken with several Zeiss lenses.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!