DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

H.265 10 bit 120 fps at 1/4 speed dragonflies with OM-1 and 150-400 pro Friday

Joe Lynch

The insects are showing up now at the nearby pond so I shot some video of the dragonflies. These were about 5-6 feet away, but, with the long lens, I was able to stay seated and use a monopod and IS to get some steady footage. This was shot in 1080p and rendered in 1080p but still looks pretty good. Grandkids love these short two minute videos.

This was all shot in manual focus, as bird detect gets a little confused with the dragonflies, and there is lots of vegetation. The focus ring on the lens is very smooth and can be moved with the left hand little finger while operating the zoom ring with the index finger and thumb. Following the fast movers in flight is a skill I don't possess. I also used a 1.4x with the 1.25x internal to the lens with the zoom from 200-400 mm. The 1.4x works great with this lens if one needs the reach out to 700 including the 1.25x internal.

The insects are showing up now at the nearby pond so I shot some video of the dragonflies. These were about 5-6 feet away, but, with the long lens, I was able to stay seated and use a monopod and IS to get some steady footage. This was shot in 1080p and rendered in 1080p but still looks pretty good. Grandkids love these short two minute videos.

Very nice Joe. Glad to see you moved to this site and look forward to seeing more dragonflies.

Very nice Joe. Glad to see you moved to this site and look forward to seeing more dragonflies.
Thanks, Joe. I'm looking forward to some spring critters and bugs and birds. I need to practice on whatever I can find! I'm going back out in a few minutes to see if I can find some that I haven't already seen.

Here are some clips from Saturday at noon using the same setup OM1 and 150-400 Pro, 120 fps, OMLog400, h.265 10bit, manual focus. The dragonflies were scarce, but the birds in the vegetation were good practice subjects. Then, Edgar, the year round resident heron showed up for some lunch and I got a good sequence of him changing locations when the walkers got a little too close.

Here is a compilation of the bird sequences I made for the grandkids. I recorded some pond sound during low traffic time periods and when the lawn mowers weren't running and added some music. Also, I zoomed in on the 4k footage in places. The last few clips when the egret and the heron were discussing fishing rights were at a distance of over 80 meters, shot with the long lens. It was also very early in the morning with cloud cover. I am very happy with the lens and camera, to say the least.

That is a very nice video. I enjoyed the background sounds combined with the music. You are getting some nice results with that lens.

Thanks, Joe. One of these days I'll go to a location that is a little more scenic. Insects should be getting more active soon. They don't make much sound, however.

Back