DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Kodak DCS Pro Back 645C for Contax 645

Hi Marc,

Marc Williams wrote:
<<
Here is an update concerning the focus problem using the Kodak ProBack 645C on my Contax 645: Kodak had me overnight my entire camera kit and the back in question at THEIR expense. They bench tested the system and immediately replaced the sensor component, then calibrated it to my Contax 645. They then shipped it back along with a detailed service report and all the test prints they had done. As far as I can tell, the camera/back is now perfect.

And in all these ex&les, a lab cannot screw up the film, which has happened to every working pro I have ever known. One such lab film screw up recently cost me just about half the amount of money it cost to buy the Kodak digital back. And these advantages are just the beginning.
>>

Good for Kodak! Glad it worked out well for you . That is the way to treat and retain a satisfied customer base. And your know what, to be honest, I was wondering what the film and photo giant was going to do when digital technology ate deeply into their well-established film market.

Kodak, unlike Smith Corona, got on the stick and put their top engineers to work, and are thus still leaders in the field.

(Smith Corona, once a top typewriter manufacturer until the dawning of the PC age, did too-little, too-late, and essentially died out because of lack of vision and the ability to transition to new emerging technology and changing market demands. Kodak, on the other hand, rode the wave to new heights.)

Ron Myers
San Diego

Calling Marc Williams...calling Marc Williams!

Marc, wonder if I might pick your brain, do you know what is the physical size of the array in the Kodak Proback 645C? I guess what I'm really asking is what is the practical change on focal length when using this digital back? Kodak's brochure and web site are oddly mute on this point.

Regards, Gary Ferguson

it is 1.4, so the multiplier is 1.4 , funny thing is it will give you a square format as default and the focusing screen is etched with the frame lines. I have heard multiple times now the the back on a contax heats up to point of no use and u have to let it cool down

I see the price of the Kodak Proback is falling steadily in the UK, a pound or two further and I guess it'll be time to take the plunge. Can anyone answer a couple of Proback questions,

1. With the Contax Proback kit is a mask supplied for the focusing screen?

2. How are the buffer and battery life in practise?

3. Any thoughts on black & white performance?

4. Is the top speed of ISO 400 fully usable?

5. Anyone in the UK want to sell one!

1. With the Contax Proback kit is a mask supplied for the focusing = screen? =20

>>> a focusing screen with is provided with the 1.4 lines in both square = and rectangular format=20

2. How are the buffer and battery life in practise? =20

>>> both are good, when compared to a medium format film. it is not a = canon 1d. the battery is really good =20

3. Any thoughts on black & white performance? =20

>>>> have not tried=20

4. Is the top speed of ISO 400 fully usable? =20

>>> i have mostly used it in iso 100, i typically use the lowest iso = with digital as the other iso usually bring a lot of noise=20

5. Anyone in the UK want to sell one!=20

Unlike the Proback for the Hasselbald 555 ELD which just has masks, the 645C has a real seperate focusing screen of its' own.

The buffer is quite good, and while shooting weddings, I've not been held up while waiting for it to load...that's because it only shoots RAW images...there is not a provision to shoot Tiff files. Tiffs are processed through the software.

The battery life is very good, even when using constant review. However, I suggest purchasing a battery kit of 3 or 6 batteries depending on your shooting habits or needs.
I usually use up 2 batteries in a day of shooting a wedding with all the reviews and what not.

Black & White performance is excellent. The software has a provision for B&W conversion.

ISO 400 is fully useable with little noise problems. It will introduce some noise with huge enlargements like 30"X30", but noise reduction programs pretty much eliminate that anyway.

I have a number of shots taken with the Contax 645 and Kodak back in my folder on this forums' Gallery section.

Hi Gary,
Mask supplied for correct format and buffer is good, im told the battery life is O.K. but cannot confirm as my tests were over 1 hour in a studio.
All change in the U.K. with distribution as of Today, you should speak to Frazer at Contax as he is at Focus next week and ask!!!!
Bob.

Well he had to test the Kodak back on a Maymia as the shop did not have a contax fitted back on the shelfes - but he has ordered the back for his contax as he was very happy with it - the test on the back is on the luminous landscape today - looks great
ruben

Back