DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I for one am glad to see Contax stand pat with the current 645. I'm even happy to hear about the price increase.

There are so many other expense increases in this business I don't need my 645 to be made obsolete, thus driving down it's value. There is enough of that with digital gear these days.

My Contax 645 has ceased working several times in rigorous, often cold wildlife shoots.Kyocera tells me the problem will be entirely solved by using one
of their external battery packs. I have my doubts.

What has your experience been with wildlife shooting,in cold, dusty condition?

Have you had great success with other cameras, e.g.
Mamiya AFD/Pro tl/ Hasselblack 501, 503 or H1. What
about high end digital?

Many thanks.

Jerry Stein md

My Contax 645 has ceased working several times in rigorous, often cold wildlife shoots.Kyocera tells me the problem will be entirely solved by using one
of their external battery packs. I have my doubts.

What has your experience been with wildlife shooting,in cold, dusty condition?

Have you had great success with other cameras, e.g.
Mamiya AFD/Pro tl/ Hasselblack 501, 503 or H1. What
about high end digital?

Many thanks.

Jerry Stein md

Jerry,
I have just ordered the external battery pack for my Contax 645 but have not used it yet. For the last few years I have been using a Mamiya 7II and found that it's battery pack works well in cold weather.
Last year I was shooting a job for Ford motor in -9 degrees in northern Michigan and my 4x5 system froze but when I plugged the battery pack into my Mamiya it operated perfectly. As for the Mamiya 645AF I bought the system last year and found it to be frail, hard to use quickly, and had some stupid design flaws so I sold it as soon as possible and purchased the Contax 645 which I am extremely happy with. When I have some cold weather experience with the Contax I'll let you know how it came out.
Jim Wedlake

Jerry, a few weeks ago I took my kids to Finland to see Santa's reindeer. We were about fifty miles north of the arctic circle and it was minus 15 to 20, but the 645 functioned perfectly with a remote battery pack. The problem was operating the fiddly controls with gloves.

The attached photo of my daughters with a real-life, genuine elf demonstrates,

1. You can get Delta 3200 through an x-ray machine

and

2. Santa actually does exist

Merry Christmas!

Jerry, a few weeks ago I took my kids to Finland to see Santa's reindeer. We were about fifty miles north of the arctic circle and it was minus 15 to 20, but the 645 functioned perfectly with a remote battery pack. The problem was operating the fiddly controls with gloves.

The attached photo of my daughters with a real-life, genuine elf demonstrates,

1. You can get Delta 3200 through an x-ray machine

and

2. Santa actually does exist

Merry Christmas!
70129.jpg

Gary, great family shot ! You got Delta 3200 through X-Ray machines and obviously it worked.
Yep, there must be a Santa.

Hello and happy Holidays

I am experiencing a problem with my 645. (or lab?)

I have just picked up a few sets of proofs and found that several of them are blacked a half inch along both long edges. I noticed it a few times before but figured that I had blocded the lens.

The gentleman at the photo shop suggested shutter drag and another a light leak between the body and film back.

Has anyone experienced this problem and found a solution?

Arlen,

Houston, Texas

>I just got a new 645 everything semes to work except the shutter won't fire . i have tried everything anybody have any ideas ?

> ken,

Everything but the most important thing is working? Obvious question, but have you removed the dark slide? It's on the left side ( as you look through the viewfinder) and has a light gray handle. It should protrude slightly. If its at the front of the film back, remove it and place it in the holder at the back of the film back. The shutter won't fire with the dark slide in. It also won't fire if film is incorrectly loaded, so that could be a problem. Hope this helps,

chip>

Back