DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

No question about it. C645 is the the best compromise between high quality 6x6 systems and the nifty features of a good 35mm system.

I recently posted my 35mm EOS3/L-series system on Ebay as I will be using the C645 full-time.

I am looking into the Contax T3 as a good 35mm point and shoot camera (not a replacement for the EOS3/L-series). Any input would be appreciated!

I see a lot of comparisons made between the Contax 645 and other cameras such as the pentax/mamiya etc. .but very few comparisons to the Rollei 600x system. As It to must have Great lenses, and the ability to shoot 645 or 6x6, I would be interested in hearing some thoughts.

I am a Pentax 6x7 user and I do have a Contax NX though I have to admit I am not all that impressed with the Contax system. The 24-85 front element was loose brand new and there is excesive dust in it and my 50/1.4. The focus screen seems to be out of line as well (I have ran tests were the shots using Af were visibly out of focus in the viewfinder but sharp on the negative and when I use my hady dualfocus ring to sharpen the image in the viewfinder the negs are out of focus making this body useless as a MF system).

So needless to say I'm not sold on the N system and am thinking of dropping Contax altogether though this will be costly as I will lose money if I sell the system.

So before I abandon Contax as my MF choice possibly in favor of a Rollei 600? I would like to here some comparisons.

Thanks
Kevin

Kevin,

I just bought a Rollei 6003 for myself recently. I had to make the same decison as you.

First the Contax 645 is way overpriced compared to the Rollei System. This is very significant on the second hand market and significant if you buy it new.

The 645-lenses all are a newer design, but it si only 645, not 6x6. What does this mean?

Using 6x6 is firstly a different way of shooting. If you want to crop it later on, you do even not need to turn the camera. But also if you leave it as 6x6, it is a mind of different photography, which is very appealing to me. If you like sometimes the 645 Format, buy the optional 645 back. You then still do not need to turn the camera, you simply turn the back for horizontal/vertical shots!

The Rollei is the most sophisticated system in 6x6. If you handhold the Contax 645 you will realize that the handgrip is only comfortable, if you use it with the prism-viewfinder. With the normal viewfinder it is uncomfortable to hold.

The Rollei is a dream to handhold because of the external grip which you can turn into 4 different positions. The Rollei uses all metering methods, not only with the prism-viewfinder but also with the standard "viewfinder". This is unique among the 6x6 or 6x7 cameras. Your Pentax for ex&les does not offer this. This saves you weight, money and it is a pleasure to look down onto your picture for composing and unnoticed photos.

I just shot one testfilm (Fuji Velvia, Zeiss 2.8/80PQ) yet, but it is looking great. Even the Zeiss Converter 2x seems to be excellent.

I have no comparison shots with the Contax 645 however.

I do not need AF (Rollei offers also an AF model) and so the decision was mainly driven by the 6x6 Format, the price/performance ratio, the professional system with all the accessoires for the Rollei and the better handling with standard viewer and the better handholdability with the grip.

In my opinion the Rollei 6000 System is one of the most undervalued Medium Format Systems. Take a Hassy and a Rollei in your hand and the choice is clear what you will pick.

Dirk

Kevin,

I forgot to mention one important thing: SERVICE

Rollei has in Germany a hotline for ANY technical questions from 8am to 8pm. And if you call them, they raelly pick up the phone - no waiting line etc. This is unique in Germany and no other manufactuerer offers this.

If you want to rent a Rollei, you simply call them, tell them to which dealer they shall send it and you then can pick it up there the next day.

Now compare this with Contax. On Contax road shows half of the equipment is not properly working - Remember these are roadshows which are planned 12 months. Normally someone should think as this is an important marketing event, it should be well prepared. But wrong: they are not able to have two bodies of each model in case somethinmg goes wrong. So potential costumers are driving specifically for these roadshows to the next Contax dealer to find out that there is half of it not working
sad.gif

The Contax ND was not working at all. After insisting it turened out that it was the model which was used months (!) ago at another fair. Nobody seemed to care to replace a BROKEN ND for a new road show
sad.gif

Obviously some people do not care about their costumers. But in this case I do not care about giving them my money. I pay their salary, so they should do something also for me as a costumer. There are even more stories to tell you, but I will wait still some time before I publish this on this Contax Community.

As you know, I run this Contax Site, but this does not mean that I am blind for the things which are going on inside at Kyocera, especially if it is no good news for all Contax users/members

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I am interested to get a Rollei 6008 AF system. Any experiences or suggestion? What are the autofocus lenses available to this that actually perform autofocus dedicated to this camera. Many thanks for the info

Dirk wrote >As you know, I run this Contax Site, but this does not mean that I am blind for the things which are going on inside at Kyocera, especially if it is no good news for all Contax users/members

Wow Dirk! I hope that Kyocera is listening!

I guess I'll have to go with the Rollei. I only wish I had not bought the NX, as part of the reason for buying it, over another 35mm, was the appeal of the compatability with the 645. I was certain I would want to buy it in the near future so buying into the NX/N1 system seemed smart.

Please explain to me the film insert/interchangeble back system. As my Pentax 6x7 is the only medium format system I have owned. Mainly I am confused about the "preloadable" insert and how it works. Does it make sense to have many of these peloaded with film for quick change? How is this different from the interchangeable backs? Also is it a good idea (economicaly) to buy the 6003 and upgrade it to allow interchangeable backs later?

Thanks for your honesty.

Kevin

Kevin, Ch&,

I am still on travel and back on monday. Since there is no short answer for this, I will try to answer these questions next week.

It also might make sense to post these question on the Rollei forum within my other site www. photo-forum-online.com.

Dirk

I am relatively a new C645 owner and have not had a chance to fully utilize my C645 system since I have been shooting 4x5 almost exclusively for the last 14 months. I have done a lot of research on the medium format cameras before and have used a number of different medium format systems. But the more I use the C645, the more I love it, especially with the 120mm APO lens and the 220 vacuum insert. It handles just like a over-sized 35mm SLR camera. I have mixed feeling about its Polaroid back though.

I must first say that I have not used the 6003 before and my experience with the 6008 is only a one night stand. I have used the Rollei 6008 with the 150mm and 50mm (or 80mm) lenses for a photo shoot. I don't like its ergonomic personally; especially the detachable handle. I do like the 6008 back with build in dark slide and its lenses has 1/3 stop click. I don't personally like waist level finders. It hurts my neck especially after using them for a long period of time. But then, it is less intrusive when shooting candid shots. As Dirk pointed out, 6x6 is also a good format.

The C645 is a very impressive system. From the build quality, lenses quality, ergonomic, dual focus mechanism, vacuum back, metering, etc., they are all (close to) first class. Being able to share lenses with my N1 (perhaps future ND) is a big plus. Using the N1 body with the C645 lenses is a enjoyable experience with very rewarding results. Of course, it is all my personal opinion.

I have had my Contax 645 for 18 months now and am still in love with the camera system. Two years ago I found I had to go digital because of clients needs, so I stared with a Mamiya 645AF but within days of owning this system I found a great many design flaws and clumsy control features. Ridding myself of the Mamiya as soon as possible I bought the Contax and five lens.
After using it almost exclusively for nearly two yeas I find that after all the cameras I've owned this is my favorite.
But a month ago I had a problem (a magazine would not come off the body) and this has opened up the first negative aspect of the Contax (not the break down, the camera has been used hard for almost two years) but the terrible service Contax offers in the US. My dealer sent the body and magazine into Contax and we heard nothing for two weeks, I called them in New Jersey and was put on hold for 30 minuets for three different times. After I leaned on my dealer he called from a speaker phone and waited over fifty minutes before he got a answer and a quote for the repair. It has now been over a month and no camera, no estimate of return time and no correspondents. A few day's later my Contax strobe TLA 360 that is six months old stopped working. There is no physical damage or misuse, this was sent in for service and despite the fact it has a three year warranty I received a quote for $108.00 for repairs. I have service done by Nikon, Hasselblad, Mamiya, Pentax and Sinar service departments and truly Contax is the very worst. It's same that with such a great product they can't put together a decent service department. Now I have two body's (one in New Jersey) and plan to add to my system, but if I have another problem I may try having the repair done in Canada, which couldn't be any worse then what we have in the US

I have recently acquired a Contax 645 and plan to share some of my experiences with it eventually...generally, I am very, very happy with it, though I've shot about 95% black and white negative film, and haven't yet done a lot of color. I got mine at quite an attractive price over the holidays through eBay, and it seems that quite a few 645 owners are selling their kits to go digital, so there are quite a few decent deals to be had on cameras and lenses.

But what struck me recently was that the author of the review of the 645 here at contaxinfo is selling off his kit on eBay...does anyone know why this is? With all the unhappiness about Contax being shared on various message boards here, it hardly seems like a good sign that one of the Contax 645's best and most talented advocates seems to be bailing on the system.

Back