DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Foveon Forever Foveon

Josep

Mr. Kazuto Yamaki's statements in his interview by Dale Baskin (dpreview) at the annual CP+ exhibition (Japan):

"As recently as last year, you expressed optimism about building a prototype full-frame Foveon sensor by the end of 2022. How is that project progressing?

We're still working on the sensor technology, but we still don't have a prototype of a full-frame Foveon sensor. In 2019 we canceled our existing full-frame project and started it from scratch, and we started working on a new pixel structure.

We're also developing a new sensor wafer manufacturing process. Every time we make a prototype sensor, we find some technical issues, so we've been solving them and narrowing them down, but there are still a few issues. I hope we can solve those problems sometime in the near future, and after we've done that, we'll be able to make the final full-frame sensor.

Do you still aspire to build a full-frame Foveon camera?

Yes. Our customers are looking forward to it. Many issues must be solved, but I'd like to continue the challenge.

I've personally used a Foveon sensor camera. Now I mainly use the fp or fp L, but when I look back on photos I took with our SD or DP cameras with Foveon sensors in the past, I can see the difference in the pictures between the Foveon and Bayer sensors. I'd like to achieve a similar look with a modern Foveon sensor."

We are entering "The Twilight Zone" Smile

Full interview

I used in the past the Sigma SD14, SD15 and all DP models until the DP Merrill line. DP2M and DP3M were the last ones I used and the most loved ones, because of their image quality.

I was not a fan on how they changed the Foveon sensor after the Merrill line. I really hope, that they go back to their roots. And I hope, that they make sure that you can edit the files also with Lightroom and Capture one, not only with SPP.

Back