DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax S2b

maybe this is a stupid idea: i think the s2/s2b is a creation using the fx-2-body.

dont forget to check your rewind knob for film-tension before shooting your first shot. maybe you have not mounted film correctly...this happened once with me in heremitage-museum in leningrad/st.petersburg. but i did not check before but fortunately 2 min, after shooting started. i could repeat.

Dirk, your explanation is perfectly comprehendible, thanks. I´ve never experienced any "self-winding" problems with my S2, but I agree that this might happen under unfavorable circumstances.

One point I´d like to add to the review is the viewfinder leakage problem, which has been discussed at length on the contaxslr-list some time ago. If you don´t shade the viewfinder during long time exposures, light leaks may cause problems. (This has happened to me and others.)

Best regards,
Uwe

I spoke to Kyocera UK who checked an S2 and confirmed that the shutter speeds in the viewfinder are red on black (which is why I could not see them).Otherwise I liked the camera and would have had another. They said that the RTS111 display is red on blue.
John

Thanks Rico.=20

I see that there is no red from your illustration. It is a big help to = be able actually to see the viewfinder. It looks a very clear = viewfinder. Perhaps I should try one of those.The chap at Kyocera must = have been mistaken.

I'm most impressed with the picture of the viewfinder and wonder how = you took it.

Cheers,

John

I find the RTS III VF comfortable to use: bright, even illumination, and easy to see all corners (high eye-point). Not cheap, though. You can gather more opinions in the RTS III section.

Shooting through the VF was a simple matter of placing my old Nikon CP-900 digicam against the Contax eye-piece. AF and LCD screen were
helpful here.

Rico,
I shall have to check it out.
I don't have a digicam but it was a very impressive result and very helpful.
Thanks again,
John

Hi

I'm thinking about buying a secondhand S2. My local dealer has one in stock, and I had a wee look at it today. I've loooked on this forum and at other internet sites, and it seems to be a camera that polarises opinion. The dealer had a 45mm f2.8 'pancake' lens in stock, and I really liked the feel of it. After reading all the reviews, I was eager to try the shutter. The problem is I've not really used a 35mm SLR, so I'm not sure if the 'vibration' would cause more camera-shake than 'normal'. It seemed that the most 'clatter' occurred when the mirror was returning at the end of the exposure, and I think the camera moved but I'm not sure if this was before/during/after the exposure. I normally use a 10x8" and 5x4" camera and I think I prefer a basic camera. I recently bought an old Rollei 35SE with Sonnor lens, and I thought that was great fun with its scale focussing and manual control. Unfortunately it met with an untimely death - I dropped it in a bucket of chemicals! Also is the 45mm lens a good start? I would probably add a wide-ish-angle lens (maybe 24mm or under) and the 85mm later. I would probably use the S2 with slow slide film (for projection) for general snaps, and when I'm out hill walking.

Back