DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

i have readen that one have to be carefull with 'theoretical' resolution of a flat bed scanner, because of the need in the optical path of one glass and two mirrors, so the image is distorded and the resolution of the CCD can't be reached ; in a film scanner there is only air between the film and the lens of the CCD ...
so what is the need of a larger film with a worse scanner ?

Well,he said he couldn't tell the difference between his results and the expensive Nikon model, which is a good testimonial, and it was an important point since I'd introduced the scanning issue as a downside of MF, which may not be so valid after all, as he points out. Even if there is a theoretical difference in quality levels between the $360 item and a $3K MF film scanner, it does mean that you are not stuck with wet processes only for enlargement, etc., in the event you don't have the big bucks. I was thinking only in terms of film scanners.

Thanks, Charles and Till for the reply about the Hexar RF. I think I narrow down to the G2. If I need a medium-format rangefinder, I could rent one. Once again thank you and others for your greatly help.

Kian-Guan,

good choice :)
Be sure to have a last look through the viewfinder and check out if you can deal with it.

Results will be as good as it gets, as far as the lab is on the same level!

Till

Thanks, Till. Actually I have not seen the G2's viewfinder yet. Hope I would like it. I wish that the local dealer has a G2 to rent out. Where could I rent the G2? Any suggestion?

Guess what? I emailed and asked Contax if they plan to release a newer model like G3. They replied back, "No G3 in the near future." So I replied and asked them when they would plan to make a newer model. They answered back and said "Sorry, can't discuss any future plans. Right now the plan is to continue the highly successful G2. You won't be disappointed!" So, hopefully they would make a newer model with better or improvement features soon, even though I have not tested both G1 and G2 yet. I read the comments about pros and cons. Of course the Contax rangefinder camera is great.

Kian-Guan

Hello Kian:

if I may chip in with a different perpsective. A little over a year ago I wanted to trade in my Nikon SLR system and go with Contax. Thought that the G2 would fill my needs because it is small and optically very good lens system, though somewhat limted. Then Contax came out with the N1 and the new 24-85 AF zoom. I decided to forget the rangefinder and take this AF SLR-lens combo - superior focusing control, depth preview, metering modes, and a fantastic zoom lens which covers G2 lenses 28-35-50-90 and of course does 24 without extra viewfinders. For me, a winning combination especially when you're used to SLRs. Ever considered this system? Worth checking out.
Cheers

More lenses, maybe improved metering... I'm still happy with my G1.

"Right now the plan is to continue the highly successful G2. You won't be disappointed!" -Kian-Guan

Dana - of course you can be happy with your G1, why not.

But, if one tries to be objective (....
happy.gif
, the ONLY advantage the RF system has nowadays over SLRs is that it is lighter, whereas the N1 AF SLR system is the equal (in lens quality - one should really experience the 24-85 to judge) or the superior (metering, control of focusing, lens choice including zooms and macro, flash system) to the G1/G2.

i can see an advantage of RF versus SLR : non-retrofocus design of lenses under 50mm,
and another one : the lack of vibration caused by the mirror shock ...

>Nikon quality? Equal to Contax G? Been there, done that. Not even close. Please take this lame comparison off of this board. Thanks, David Morris

Back