DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX

Is it possible to utilize second-curtain sych with non-Contax/non-TTL flash systems? The AX manual implies this is possible only with the TLA 360: yes/no/maybe?

Thanks!
dt

Hi David,

definitely yes: I use a Metz flash with the SCA adapter "SCA 382". There is a little switch on the rear side to change between first-curtain sync and second-curtain sync.

Regards

Uli

The Contax TLA 280, which is smaller, lighter and less expensive than the 360, also has 2nd shutter TTL capability via a switch on the front of the housing.

To Bill Welsford:

..."Have you seen the size of the Contax that uses the film back to focus? Ridiculous !!"...

I can understand your feeling, Bill. I thought the same thing when I first saw the AX in a shop window. I had been using 167MT for two years and then Aria for two years. I thought the AX was way too big and heavy, although I had never even held it in my hand.

Then three months ago, a friend loaned me one. Wow! What a beautiful camera! It feels great in the hands. I love it. Now the Aria feels too small. The AX is much easier to hold steady at slow shutter speeds. The "auto focus on demand" combined with manual focus lenses is brilliant. The back focusing system is pure genius, especially because of the bonus "macro" function. All lenses can focus closer than the usual minimum focusing distance, thanks to the back focus mechanism.

I bought the AX from my friend. Now it is my main camera. I only use the Aria where the smaller size and weight is a necessary advantage.

Therefore Bill, be careful about making bold statements like "ridiculous". Medium format cameras are bigger and heavier than the AX, but they are still great to use. I have four medium format cameras. They are not ridiculous. You might be missing out on something good if you write it off before you even try it.

I'm considering to buy in an AX, great auto focus with old lens and closer focusing. But, so much complicated gear has the potential leading to malfunction. I would be very happy to hear the users advises and experiences.

Hi Siu Lung,

I am an AX user, for more than a year. I believe you can find tons of review in web-site with positive comments. The features of it is wonderful. I may point out the key features :
1.Provide 10mm extension which enable all lens to macro or close-up lens.
2.Focusing speed is reasonable fast. It is okay to all manual lens user. In fact, I do not like AF. I bought it because I was worrying my eyes. Eventually, I rarely use AF.
3. However, you have to think deeply about carrying a 1Kg solid body. Together with the heavy Zeiss Lens, it is woo.. quite serious. As for handling, it is amazed easy though the body is thick.

If you could overcome the drawback of weight, it is a wonderful camera.

Francis.

Hi,

I did notice that there are limitations on using the AX. In fact, not many people discussed that on the web and I only knew them after I bought the camera. When using the 28-85 and 100-300 zooms, the optical quality will be affected if too much back focusing range is used. It is unfortunite that these are my favourite lenses and I've to take extra care when using these two lenses on the AX.

Simon LIU

Hello Group,

I am an AX-user since February this year - and I love it. I notice more crystal sharp pictures on my rolls that ever before (with RTS II and 137).

I use primes (35/2.8, 85/1.4 and 200/3.5) and no zoom, so I cannot comment on the last post on Macro.

The Macro function itself is a simple marvel; it works like a continuous extension tube with an adjustable width of 10 mm.

Go get it while stock lasts!

Kind regards
Lars Lund
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hello,

as I think the Automatc Back Focussing of the AX maybe critical on use with lenses which use a floating element for correction on closer distances. Namely these are:
Distagon 3.5/15
Distagon 4/18
Distagon 2.8/21
Distagon 1.4/35
PC-Distagon 2.8/35
Macro-Planar 2.8/100
Sonnar 2.8/180
I also would be careful when using one of the Vario-Sonnar lenses.

Normally a lens only moves away from the film plane if set on short distances. If a floating element is used in a lens the elements in the lens change their positions to each other while focussing to achieve an optimum performance.

Matthias

Back