DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Musing about the new forum...

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfoxy

First of all, huge, huge, thanks to everyone involved in getting this rolling. No small bit of work I'm sure. Thank you. Software seems good. Easy to post, good formatting. I'm sure many improvements will be coming.

Only initial negative reaction was the size and placement of all the gear forums at the top. Lots of scrolling to get to the technique forums. Less interested in gear than seeing actual work. Obviously personal preference and I'm sure thought went into the layout. Just wanted to throw it out there. Maybe there's a way to collapse the top level sections on the client side. I'll have a look. Not a big deal. Thanks again for setting this up!

I agree surfoxy.

We are also considering pruning down the subforums a bit too. We feel there are too many, esp. the ones for long-dead systems. However, since dirk started this forum as an alternative for DPR, he doesn't want to be too quick or careless and make people feel like it was a bait & switch or anything.

dirk is doing most of the work, we're just along for the ride to try to help. I agree, he's done a great job.

I agree surfoxy.

We are also considering pruning down the subforums a bit too. We feel there are too many, esp. the ones for long-dead systems. However, since dirk started this forum as an alternative for DPR, he doesn't want to be too quick or careless and make people feel like it was a bait & switch or anything.

dirk is doing most of the work, we're just along for the ride to try to help. I agree, he's done a great job.
Smaug,

It seems to me that dirk is doing a splendid job with The Forum. And if he's, more or less, doing it alone, then I take my hat off to him. As we all know, a one-man show is never easy regardless of project.

In the long run getting rid of some sub-forums is the logical and practical way to go. If I may, I'd also like to see a sub-forum that covers creative or artistic photos, if possible, as well as architectural photos, if there isn't one now. :geek:

Just an idea.

First of all, huge, huge, thanks to everyone involved in getting this rolling. No small bit of work I'm sure. Thank you. Software seems good. Easy to post, good formatting. I'm sure many improvements will be coming.

Only initial negative reaction was the size and placement of all the gear forums at the top. Lots of scrolling to get to the technique forums. Less interested in gear than seeing actual work. Obviously personal preference and I'm sure thought went into the layout. Just wanted to throw it out there. Maybe there's a way to collapse the top level sections on the client side. I'll have a look. Not a big deal. Thanks again for setting this up!
Similar here as well and would like to see those reversed with the techniques and gear forums. It still works though as it is, so just a preference is all.

Danny.

Please all stuff regarding forum structure in our new special thread of today:

In my humblest of opinions, I think the name of this site should be shortened to The Forum in the not-too-distant future.

That name was already raken in 2001.:)

It iis almost impossible nowadays to find good free available domainnames.

But we are ver happy with our name. I would have never thought, that this is still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back