DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Leica R Digital

Dirk,

I have found cleaning the ND sensor a cinch, if you ignore the need to use the setup menu's cleaning function which requires the AC power supply be connected, not something readily doable in the situations where you are more likely to get dust on the sensor, i.e. out on the field. Here's what I do while on the road.

1. Take off the lens when you're all set to clean.

2. Turn the camera on to shooting mode, and cover the lens opening COMPLETELY with your hand - the LCD will read 32 sec exposure.

3. Place the camera on AE Lock while the lens opening is covered to lock the 32 second exposure.

4. Remove your hand and click the shutter - you now have 32 seconds to clean the exposed sensor with an air blower, plenty of time.

Me, I'm praying for an ND2, not a digital RX
happy.gif

Cheers,

DJ

mmmhh, that sounds good.

So then we have to work hard after the special edition of the Contax SL300R to organize a special ND offer for the members of Contaxinfo.com
happy.gif

Wow! an Rx with a digital back like the new Leica. That is a nice thought. It might make economic sense too because it would be a real competitor for the Leica and the RX and lenses are much cheaper, so people might buy it instead. I expect that Kyocera will pursue the ND though instead and as DJ says naturally people who have the ND or the N series would prefer that.
Cheers,
John

Do you mean I should hold on to my N System? Do you really see the market supporting a Contax N or CY Digital back? Has Contax so disillusioned potential Digital users that it will never happen? Or will 35mm digital back be available for a variety of high end brands?

There are rumors of a new Contax N digital. I have not used Leica R8 or R9, but the N1 is at least on the same league and has AF, which is nice (on paper, I think the N1 is a better camera, except for the flash options). I don;t know how good the new Leica R lenses are, but I doubt their 28-90 is any better than the 24-85 at 3-4 times the price. This lens alone (the 24-85) is a reason to stick with the N for a while. I would wait.

The C/Y "system" is only the Aria now (in the USA at least). I doubt Kyocera will reverse strategy and go digital with that mount. They decided to go with the N system.

Juan

Thanks, I agree, particularly about the 28-85, the best zoom. I wasn't really hoping that Kocera would finally get on the ball with the CY system for digital but that maybe with the development of other brand digital backs by Imagon or whoever, it might be more feasible for them to license a digital back. Seems like a long shot to me, though. I wonder if there were enough N Systems sold to justify the development of a digital camera or back. Weren't the lenses designed for a full size chip? Has Kyocera deliberately ignored its Contax customer base just to avoid justifying new development money for digital?

Stan

Back