DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Reviews Contax ST

G

Something about the ST. Hmm, let's see:

I've got mine in spring 1993 after it was revealed on »Photokina« in autumn 1992.Since then it works fine without any complaints or faults.
The ST was placed between the RTS III and the 167 MT, which I used before. I changed for the ST because of some features:
»knob-dials« for time and correction factors
X-time 1/200 sec
Databack as standard
diopter correction for the ocular
build in ocular shutter

There are some other nice things on the ST, like the ceramic pressure plate or the shortest time of 1/6000 s (only available in AV and P) or the lighted LC display and speed and correction dials.

What I'm missing on the ST is a mirror pre-release and one of the programmable functions of the later models: Don't want the film always fully in the cartridge after rewinding. Also the viewfinder indicator doesn't show if you've selected a »+« or a »-« correction factor.

The only thing to complain bout is the knob for the ocular diopter correction. I often dis-adjusted it in my bag. Now I fixed it with some tape.

Officially the AE-lock only works with spot metering. But if you're fast enough in switching it, you can also save the integral metering.

Most time I'm using the ST together with the Tessar T* 2,8/45. It fits fine with an additional Metz flashlight in a little waistbelt bag. So I've got a full capable SLR with me in the size of a big P&S
happy.gif

Matthias

Help...

I brought a second hand ST and was playing around with the custom function. I don't know which function that i alter but after that, the camera will take three photo and leave the forth one blank. How to turn this situration back?

Ben

Just purchased a used ST any tips? Love the lenses on the G1 35 & 45 so I purchased and SLR with a 50 1.7 I have not found much on web about the camera. I guest it was sleeper. Thanks for any help.
Ray

Hi Ray,

welcome to this Contax User Forum and congratulations to your purchase. I think someone else mentioned already that the ST is targeted between the 167MT and the RTS III. Later on the RX came as a sister model along. Contax gave the ST not a mirror lock-up, vacuum mechanism and some minor features of the RTS III to ensure that there are some differences to the top model.

Compared to the RX I like some features, which I missed on my RX. Above all the normal batteries compared to the RX and the LCD light button. The ST is very solid build is just working without problems. I guess this is why you will not find many comments about it on th net.

Pick up a film, put your 50mm on it and enjoy it! And of course upload some pictures and user comments here
happy.gif

dirk

@ Chi Yung Benjamin

Seems that you've activated the A.B.C. (automatic braceting control). If activated It takes three pictures. First one with mesured EV, second is 1/2 or a full EV overexposed and third is 1/2 or full EV underexposed. A.B.C. is activated with the litle switch on the front side of the Exposure Correction wheel on right top side of the camera. A indicator on the back side shows if it's set to 1/2 or a full EV over-/underexposure.
There are no custom functions on the ST which can be set seperatly!

@ Ray

Congratulations to your new camera.
I already mentioned some tips in my first article of this thread. If you've got some special questions: Just ask!

Matthias

I have brought an second handed RX recently and use it with CZ 100 macro lens.The camera starts a few weeks ago something very annoying.When I press the button to shoot,the aperture changes as the f-no. without releasing the shutter.When I press the button again,the film advances one space and the aperture returns to the widest opening.The camera is doing this in a completely unpredictable way.In the negative,you could see empty space between every 3 or 4 pictures.Taking pictures is enjoyable only if the camera shoots and rather than doing stupid things like this. Help!Help! Joseph Wang
Joseph Wang

Hello, I have just brought a used ST, I find the controls on the camera are very easy to use, however, can anyone help to tell me how to get the date imprint on the film? Thanks a lot!

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

the date will always be printed between the frames when using the original databack. If you want the date printed in the lower right corner on the film you have to change the back for the optional D-7 Data Back.

cu
Matthias

Hello Matthias, Thank you for your reply. I think my original dateback should be malfunction since I cannot find any date in the film.

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

first check what the Display on the data back shows: if there's only "-- -- --" shown, press the mode button to enable date or time imprint.

The other thing which could be possible is a lazy battery in the data back. Unscrew battery cover of the data back and fit new CR2025 Lithium battery.

Matthias

Back