DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

I have for sale a Mint condition Contax G2 Kit comprising of Titanium body, 28mm Biogon, 45mm Planar, 90mm Sonnar, GG-1 Hood, GG-2 Hood, GG-3 Hood, GK-54 metal lens caps x3. GK-41 lens caps x3, TLA 200 Flash, Leather Strap, Leather lens cases x3, All manuals and paperwork, Contax Aluminium G series case and original boxes for all components.

This is my own personal kit which I purchased new seven months ago and am now selling in a move up to medium format. It is all in perfect 'as new' condition with no marks, scratches or dents on any component and is still under full Contax and Zeiss warranty until September 2003. Price for the full kit is £1200 GBP.

I am located in the UK but will also ship world wide; buyer will also pay shipping costs as they would on ebay. Please email me at chris@chesters1.co.uk if you are interested or have any questions. To buy new in the UK this kit would retail at £1700 GBP. These items are for sale as a kit and not separately.

Hi,
News from Paris. I was walking around my dealer just to see what was the price he could offer me (I was nostalgic of my M6) of my just recent purchased G2/21/35/90, that I bought for 2.240 € five months ago. Remember he offered the 21 ! "Gasp !!!" the price is still gone down ! For 1.790 € (+/- 2.000 $ at the today rate,1.13) you earn the kit. A lost of 450 € ! A great deal for others, today.
What can we think about that ? Is the french market so narrow that the sales of Contax are completely down, do you know what are the politics in your countries ? Divided by 4 the price of each NEW item is 447 € ! Have You said bargain ?
Nicolas

> Nicolas, Thanks for giving us an update on the current prices, =20 > personally I bought my G2 set secondhand and this still was, a very =20=

> good price. It might be interesting to know from you why you want to go back = to =20 your M6, as you know the two camaras now, you might be able to learn us =20=

something here. Personally I am think of acquiring a R8 to complete my photographic =20 equipment. Thanks in avance Jan Brouckaert http://homepage.mac.com/jan31 (all the images were made by Contaxg G2)

Jan,
I began to use rangefinders 10 years ago because of my bad experience of SLR. The little story is I began to make photos in 1976 with the first Minox. I loved this pocket camera and of course the 35 mm. It's a kind of "simple rangefinder" and I got some habits there. Some years later, I wanted to enhanced my possibilities in different lens. So I bought a great Canon A1 with some lens. I've never made some too bad photos with it. I tried several times but the results was always bad and awful, I was inside the photos and lost the atmosphere. SLR was'nt for me. So I looked around me to have a good, solid (I changed 2 times the meter of the Minox for 2 times the price of the camera) and simple camera. I bought a nice M2 with a 35/2,8 summaron, 50/2 sum and 90/2,8. I had a great pleasure several years and just to go to the M6 for easy use of meter (necessary to sell M2, 50 & 90). (I haven't understood, until now, why nobody proposed on the market a kit or something like that, to upgrade any of the M with only the meter inside for a reasonnable amount of money compared the difference between the M6 and previous M, don't you ?) So afterI've had a great time with the M's, I wanted to go forward in having 28 or 21 mm and a 90. The Leica prices was to high so I looked for the others RF proposals. And I bought the G2 which give me some very different rendition in B&W and colors. I need now more practice to master the G2 and why I was "nostalgic" (here we are !) is that with the M system, I was in a very quiet atmosphere to create some pictures, more than with the G2. The M wiewfinder is "really" nicest except for the 90, and the fact that you master the RF patch is a real plus. I'm quite stress of having the necessity of always have my finger on the press button to focus, and to trust in the "dark" of the capacities of the autofocus, although I'm used to employ the hyperfocal, even with the G2.
I'm not enter in religion with the M. There was not much affordable and clever choice when I was looking for. But I have to practice the G2 more. The images,I said are different, the grain is not the same, the colors rendition too, of course with an old summaron of the 60's you have some pictures which have a particular flavour, black is black, contrasts are higher and colors are in the same way.
I need to improve my practice of the G2. It's a wonderful little machine. I can take some pictures in real low speed, easyest than with any M's, the meter is really more subtle too. I'm surprised of this capacity. I took some photos with f.16 or f.11 to have deep view and the G2 response is impressive.
I'm quite surprise of the quality of the pictures I see on the contaxGpages. Quality in the sens of sensitivness, a poetical way to see and catch the "reality" of this world.

Thank you for your reply,

Nicolas

I'm going to see your home page soon,

> Message to Chis Chesters ... enough about your G2 kit for sale!!!! I'm > getting really sick of reading about it with multiple posts throughout > this forum!!!

p.s. Contax G2 secondhand prices suck at the moment. Basically the medium format, large format and premium 35mm film markets are getting hammered by people selling their kit to move to digital. If you're wanting to move to decent digital then these types of cameras are the 'discretionary' type of equipment and hence the first to go - hence the decline in prices and the increase in the number of cameras and systems available. Sorry folks.

Definitely a buyers market for pre-owned, mint equipment at the moment. :)

Graham

>Message to Graham Welland

Thank you for your message Graham,

I just want to bring your attention to fact that you are not the only person to use this forum. If you don't like reading my messages then just dump them like any normal person would instead of letting us all think that you harbour the infantile fantasy of being at the centre of all things!

Has it not occurred to you that people are joining this forum all the time and would not have seen what is for sale?

As for digital, I made no mention of it as you will see if you take the time to read my posting properly. I can't help it if you feel upset because the world is going digital and your precious G system is worth less than you thought that's your problem, don't inflict it on the rest of us. Get real!!!

I make no apologies

CC

Message to Chis Chester:

Wanting to sell your equipment isn't a problem. However, it is bad net ettiquette to post the same advertisment multiple times and to cross post across forums and newsgroups.

For those of us who receive the email notification of messages it just gets tedious trawling through the same message three times plus with a cross post as well. It's just simply bad net manners.

As regards the personal stuff, I'm not looking for a flame war ... so I'll just treat it with the contempt it deserves and ignore it.

Regarding G2 secondhand prices, it's just a fact that prices have fallen considerably. It doesn't bother me in the slightest because I don't want or need to sell but it is reality. It is, however, an excellent time to buy ...

Graham

CC, It is inappropriate to post a for sale message more than once, regardless of 'new people' joining the forum. If you want to be part of this discussion group you should respect the rules and the views of other members of the forum. You won't gain any respect by spamming it with advertisements. I think you will find everyone agrees with me. James.

Back