DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions Digilux 1

I am the owner of the Digilux 1 about one week. I have made about 1000 foto's with it, in many different sircumtances. I try'd most settings.

It's a good camera, good lense, for quality stay with 100 iso (most other camera's price equivalent). The click-click moment is good. Learn the features.

I bought it for 899 € (2 batt. + 2 64 MB crds & photoshop elements + leather bag

I really love my Digilux 1

At first I just kind of liked it, now I love it. I have been shooting it a lot this spring and summer - it is a great macro camera, and a nice family snapshooter too. I have discovered how to use the manual focus and 'A' exposure mode to get zero shutter lag - it is great. All of that DOF does come in hand sometimes!

Here are some recent flower shots, judge for yourself what you think:
http://homepage.mac.com/attinasi/PhotoAlbum23.html

and some crazy kid stuff here:
http://homepage.mac.com/attinasi/PhotoAlbum22.html

To see just how noisy the camera is at ISO 200 and 400, check out this page:
http://homepage.mac.com/attinasi/PhotoAlbum24.html

Great stuff, Marc! Maybe the critics where wrong after all: the Leica = Digilux 1 =EDs a remarkable camera. Are all (prosumer) digital camera's = this sharp and crispy?

If anyone wants to check out some more Leica Digilux 1 pictures, feel = free to check out my site:

www.wimdows.nl

Specially my 'daily picture from Amsterdam' shows the variety of shots = the Digilux 1 is capable of making.

(Please note: since a lot of the pictures are on my own home computer, = which is switched off part of the day, not all material is viewable all = of the time. Sorry for that... And another thing: the site is mostly in = Dutch, but there is an English index page and most pages contain = pictures anyway, so...)

Have fun!

Hey Wim, I cannot read your site, but I can see the pictures! BTW: you have a picture of one of my favorite cameras there - the Olympus 35 SP. I have two of those and I love them.

Regarding critics etc. - they are wrong. The Digilux 1 is a remarkable camera, maybe not a perfect camera but there is no such a thing as a perfect camera. All cameras are a careful balance of compromises, and the Digilux 1 has the right set for me - well, at the reduced / second-hand price point anyway ;-)

Thanks for visiting, Marc. Hope you liked at least some of the pictures. I'll be putting up more translated pages later on - if I find the site is worth keeping up.
I happen to own one SP (and an RC aswell). I love both camera's; but I hardly touch them. The reason: I don't feel a need to print my pictures any longer. I'm convinced the D1 is capable of producing great (better than aps and comparable to most 35mm shots) print at least up to A4, and maybe even beyond. But I don't see the need; I prefer my computerscreen. Okay, slides is even better - but that's way too much work and far too bulky to store.
Maybe that's where the whole digital v. paper/slides discussion breaks down. It's not the picture quality that determines the succes of a medium, it's whether people use the medium or not that determines it succes.
If the audio market is anything to go by (and it is), one can make some predictions:
1. digital equipement will get a lot better very quickly,
2. in a couple of years time very high resolution equipment will have become ridicoulously cheap,
3. the industry will try to kill of paper and slides and promote digital and digitalization of existing paper and slide material,
4. paper and slides will all but dissapear very, very quickly indeed (allowing for regional differences dependent on economical differences, of course),
5. users will not allow a total killing of - for reasons of 'quality' (which can mean a lot of different things for different people),
5. analog eventually will make a come back.

(So hang on to your SP's!)

(ad 1 en 2: Can't wait for the D4! Looks just about the same as the (gorgeous) D1, but comes with 32 megapixel, a 1,7 or 1,8 lens, unfaillible auto focus, utterly scratch proof and non-glare lcd-screen, ánd has genuine metal control buttons instead of those flimsy, plasticy ones that lose their paint quicker than a cheap toy. And look at that price! Yummy!)

How do you find Digilux for street photography and candids? Is it fast enough for that purpose? How is it in terms of unobstrusiveness?

Thanks, Trisnadi

> The Digilux 1 is certainly fast enough - particularly if you set the white balance and use manual focus - then it is nearly instant. Even with AF it is generally very fast. If you can stand a 3MP image, the continuous shooting mode is great to snap 3 fast ones too. However, it is hardly unobtrusive. No matter, it looks cool! :) I recommend the Pentax Optio S or Minolta DImage Xi if you want unobtrusive.

- marc

I think it is fast enough for street photography (specially if you set = the focus to a general purpose distance and then just shoot in P mode. = Very unobtrussive it is not. People see it coming from a mile away: it's = big, it's bulky, and people just can't help but notice it's = retro-styling. The good thing about this, is that hardly anyone notices = you are using a modern digital camera, they all think you are just = snapping away with a cheap old camera, and you get their sympathy not = their wrath. What is a very good thing indeed, is that it is completely silent, so = in that respect it is even better for candid photo's than a rangefinder = camera.

Back