DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Flying Scotsman

martianphoto

In glorious evening sunshine 60103 Flying Scotsman crosses Chertsey Meads working 1Z75 The Surrey Hills Evening Flyer from London Victoria to Gomshall across the Surrey Hills.
0097_Jun_edit_011745C_01.JPG
  • NIKON CORPORATION - NIKON D810
  • 70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
  • 165.0 mm
  • ƒ/5
  • 1/640 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 800

Glorious photo!

That's amazing! I would love to see/hear something like that. Is this a recent photo? Interesting. I will look up info on the Scotsman.

That's amazing! I would love to see/hear something like that. Is this a recent photo? Interesting. I will look up info on the Scotsman.
Sorry not to have replied sooner but I've been away. The photo was actually taken in 2018 when it worked The Surrey Hills Evening Flyer from London Victoria to Gomshall across the Surrey Hills. Appearances 0f Scotsman are not particularly well detailed in advance, because, in part, of the many problems caused by lineside trespass incidents on past occasions.

No sweat. Thanks for the reply. Good 'ol Wikipedia. VERY interesting history! Going all the way back to 1862. The LNER Gresley Class A1/A3.

"...lineside trespass incidents" -- just a bunch of crazy rail nuts and a subset of passionate train photographers? LOL! But I am also guilty of "trespass" in the pursuit of getting a picture. Although I definitely approach the situation and surroundings with a sense of awareness and safety in-mind… for self-preservation purposes… plus I don't want to ruin the opportunity to return at a later time. No need to act like a clueless ignorant fool around the tracks… which only serves to perk-up the security regime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Scotsman_(train)

You're right about the antics of a mindless few. In my general experience most serious photographers will go out of their way to avoid such issues in the first instance..

Back