DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Have not gone digital

To avoid any misunderstandings please do not confuse the "new" effect from digital imaging as a reason to think digital is superior to film capture.

For certain applications 8"X10" cameras are still ahead of any digital gear now available.

I may have a different perspecitive from Cyril. For example...my own experience is that high end 35mm DSLR images are superior (to my eyes) to scanned 35mm film. So although I still use my Leica R8, Nikon F3HP and Canon EOS 1V with 35mm film.....I always do so knowing that the results will be less satisfactory than those from my Canon 5D, Nikon D2X, Canon 1D Mark II (and these are obviously NOT the latest DSLRs!).

Paul has now given me pause however. I thought I was covered re film quality with the six 4x5 view cameras I own (Sinar, Ebony, Cambo, Graphic etc). Now I'm thinking that I should "up my game" and go for a 8x10 camera.....or maybe even a ULF! :)

Is this a never ending search for image quality or perhaps, in my case, another excuse to buy just one more camera? Hard to say. :)

Gary

I may have a different perspecitive from Cyril. For example...my own experience is that high end 35mm DSLR images are superior (to my eyes) to scanned 35mm film. So although I still use my Leica R8, Nikon F3HP and Canon EOS 1V with 35mm film.....I always do so knowing that the results will be less satisfactory than those from my Canon 5D, Nikon D2X, Canon 1D Mark II (and these are obviously NOT the latest DSLRs!).

Paul has now given me pause however. I thought I was covered re film quality with the six 4x5 view cameras I own (Sinar, Ebony, Cambo, Graphic etc). Now I'm thinking that I should "up my game" and go for a 8x10 camera.....or maybe even a ULF! :)

Is this a never ending search for image quality or perhaps, in my case, another excuse to buy just one more camera? Hard to say. :)

Gary

I understand Gary, This is ofcourse Non-ending? But I thought 35mm negative capture was always superior to the 35mm Digital capture. Is it the Full frame senser which changed this prespective.
regards
Cyril

I understand Gary, This is ofcourse Non-ending? But I thought 35mm negative capture was always superior to the 35mm Digital capture. Is it the Full frame senser which changed this prespective.
regards
Cyril

I don't know Cyril......I can only speak from my own experience. Firstly, I am always comparing my DSLR image files to scanned 35mm color transparencies and B&W negatives.....I rarely shoot color negative film. Second, I scan 35mm film with a Nikon 5000ED, so perhaps if I had a Hasselblad/Imacon film scanner I would see better results compared with the DSLR images. There are just so many variables....it really is difficult to make hard and objective judgments one way or the other.

I only know that if I was forced to choose just one system: 35mm film SLR or 35mm DSLR....for myself, I would choose 35mm DSLR.

Now if you asked me to choose one of my 35mm DSLR systems or one of my Hasselblad systems.....I would definitely choose the Hasselblad. Not because I know for a fact that it's image quality is superior (although that is my impression), but I love to use the Hasselblad cameras and lenses, even though the 35mm DSLR is in many respects more convenient to use.

To a certain extent I agree with you and of course I love to learn from others as my knowledge on photography comes from selfdevelopment.

Yes I am self-taught serious amateur and Enjoy using the best general gear that is availabe for high end photography.
I have Some Leica ...naminig M6 and M8 and three Cron lenses. /And Blad 203FE and 2 lenses /Nikon F5 and some Lenses/ Blad Xpan 40mm / Nikon 5000ed scanner.
I enjoy using Film and and I don't want to give up negative.
I hear lot of thing about M9 and I believe what you say is and it is very true what .DSLR are being on it's evolution. That is why I bought my First ever (Digital RF camera) as I love the M RF.

Back