DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax T3

Tried out the "manual" metering procedure suggested by Niki. It worked fine with a roll of films under normal light conditions. Here comes another question for expert/experienced opinions here.

Though T3 allows users to choose between 1/3 stop and 1/2 stop exposure compensation, user still needs to turn T3 off before juggling between compensation steps. It could become a hazzle if user requires a "+/- 1/2 stop" than a "+/- 2/3 stop" (that is, in every 1/2 increment) exposure compensation to compensate in tricky lighting situations following a 1/3 increment operation.

If it's a SLR, I could adjust the f/stop ring with shutter speed fixed to achieve the best exposure (most SLR now uses 1/3 stop compensation, as per my knowledge).

T3 is decent enough. Probably I'm asking for too much. Any comments on this?

Thanks -- Bernard

I currently have a GR1, and am looking at upgrading to either the GR1v, which is a new model, or a Contax T3.

Can anyone comment on the T3 vs GR1 as far as the image quality goes?

My Gr1 has some vignetting when shooting under bright conditions. Wondering whether the Contax has the same issue, and/or whether this is a problem with my GR1 only.

Kirk,
I have just bought the GR1v to replace my GR1. I find the extra features very helpful eg manual ISO settings, manual focus, illuminated LCD. I have to say that in 5 years of using the original GR1 I never noticed any vignetting. Maybe I didn't look close enough.
I bought a T3 12 months ago and though the lens is superb and the viewfinder fantasticly clear I find the handling less pleasant than the Ricoh. So much so that I asked Ricoh(UK) if they had any intention to produce a GR with a 35mm lens, but sadly they said no. I would buy one like a shot. In the time I have had the T3 it has seen only about 8 films so maybe I should use it more to see if handling becomes any better.
I went to Florida last year with just the GR1 and shot around 400 pictures in 2 weeks and they were all excellent.
Back to the vignetting though. Maybe it is the fact that the Ricoh is a 28mm as opposed to the 35mm of the T3 that you are noticing vignetting. Being wider perhaps it is more susceptable to this. I'm sure there are more knowledgable users than me on this site who can help you better than I can.
Paul

hello,

I have had my t3 for about a year. I shoot at least a roll a day with it. I have been so happy with this camera and then... all of suden... the camera would not load a new roll of film. After close inspection with a loupe and comparing it to a new t3 at sammys in LA I and the the repair man there came to the conclusion that the little tooth on the take up spool brooke off. After talking to a few other photographers I found that the same thing happended to two of my freinds with there t3s. Is this really that common? How many people out there have had this prolblem? I am really upset. I sent it in for repair and am really missing it. What more, beacuse I am on assignment and won't be home (where my warentee card is) for three more months they are saying that I will have to pay at least $200. Arghh.

Untill now I have had nothing but the best things to say about this camera. Also, I own a contax 645 system which I love and am in the procare plan for that camera but since they call the t3 a consumer camera they will not honer my procare plan. If they think the t3 is a "consumer" camera they are booth selling the t3 and professionals short.

any way, sorry this is so long but just wondering if other people have had the same experince?

thanks,

Noah Sheldon.

Re:

>the little tooth on the take up spool broke off.

It happened to my T3 also. It was repaired under warranty (Now I know why Contax has a 3 yr. warranty period.)

Also sent my T3 back a second time to have the film platen replaced due to scratching of negatives when using 36 exposure rolls of film. I'm not sure it wasn't the processing that caused it, however.

Yes.
This problem is the vulnerability of T3.
I have heard a lot about this.
But my friend did not send it for repair.
It is too expensive and similarly weak.
He did it himself.
Just drill a little hole on the spool at the place of the "tooth",and fix an appropriate metal stick in it.
It works wonderful,and is quite wearable.
When my T3 breaks,I will do the same.

And,it does nothing with a "36 exposure rolls of film" or a "24 exposure rolls of film".

Hi John et al:

In regard to your comment:
"I did have to send my T3 back to Contax twice - once to repair the film door that scratched negs and..."
I am amazed to hear this! The EXACT same thing happened to my T3 after less than 5 rolls of film (and 3 months old)! No one could tell me what was going on until I went to install a data back to the camera and took a good look at the film pressure plate. Is there a way of preventing this in the future? Why does it happen in the first place? Does anyone know if I send in my original camera back will Contax repair it under warranty? Thanks for the post and any advice.

Hi there!

Just to add to this, that a friend of mine also had the scratched negs due to the pressure plate problem. This happened with two different cameras but was lucky third time. But he bought the T2! Maybe this is a weakness with Contax compacts or maybe they just need better production testing. Odd though that the same problem should affect different models.

Hello Noah, I got the same problem. The little tooth was cut of after 3 weeks of = enjoyment. It was on warranty, took over 1 month to fix it. Marek Gorecki

Back