DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

ABE’S OF MAINE

Neverlost99

I generally feel that I’ve never heard anything positive about this and they only sell gray market product but damn the prices are great and I’m just wondering if anybody’s had a positive experience. I doubt if I get any response as this form is either to new or just not seen enough, but I thought I would give it a try. Thank you in advance.

I generally feel that I’ve never heard anything positive about this and they only sell gray market product but damn the prices are great and I’m just wondering if anybody’s had a positive experience. I doubt if I get any response as this form is either to new or just not seen enough, but I thought I would give it a try. Thank you in advance.
My experience with them goes back 25 years but I got baited and switched. Called to buy a Vivitar 2X Macro converter, the cool one that had a built in helicoil, that they showed in stock but was told on the phone not available. The guy swore that Sigma’s latest did the same thing so I ended up with an ordinary 2X converter.

When it comes to camera/electronic stores, especially those in New York/New Jersey area, I'd consider them "guilty until proven innocent". Meaning, if they don't have a solid history of reputable customer service and overall competence, I'd avoid them. B&H Photo and such stores are basically where you're going to pay retail prices, however the benefit is that the customer service is excellent. There are some other reputable stores as well, but it's well-advised for the uninitiated to ask (as you wisely did) if they're not absolutely sure of a store's reputation. Abe's of Main - I wouldn't.

At one point years ago they had a good reputation but all I have read in the last 10 years or so are negative reviews, primarily about them selling grey market cameras, and bait and switch sales techniques. Camera manufacturers seem to have pretty tight agreements with authorized dealers not to sell below the suggested retail price, so all of the authorized dealers generally sell Nikons, Canon, Sony cameras for the same price. Abe's is not an authorized dealer so I would avoid them.

I read several negative things about Abe's over the years so I always avoided them. I mostly buy from B&H and occasionally Adorama. My experiences with these have been totally positive. Also for more expensive items, having the B&H Payboo card saves me 8.5% tax in greedy California.

A good rule of thumb...if it sounds too good to be true, buyer beware. The only NY dealers I trust are B&H and Adorama.

I used to go into their store once in a while when I worked close by. It’s in Linden, New Jersey by the way, and nowhere near Maine. I’ve never bought anything from them as I really don’t trust them. B&H on the other hand gets just about all of my photo business. They have an amazing retail store in Manhattan and they have never been anything but honest and upfront with me. Their customer service and mail order transactions have always been stellar.

I read several negative things about Abe's over the years so I always avoided them. I mostly buy from B&H and occasionally Adorama. My experiences with these have been totally positive. Also for more expensive items, having the B&H Payboo card saves me 8.5% tax in greedy California.

I have bought from B&H for over 30 years and never had an issue.
However, their packaging is pretty crude these days. I bought a new lens in box and it was put in a shipping box with one piece of bubble wrap. The lens box was bouncing around all the way to my house. Everything was fine though.

Avoid Abe's and avoid Focus Camera.
As others note below, B&H and Adorama are reputable sellers. I have had good experiences with Kenmore Camera.

Back