DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Aria vs Contax ST

Thanks for all opinion.
Heh,
I'was nearly sure .... aria, but I've red the last post (Georg), and still got problem. It's like a Polish story about donkey, who had two containers: one with a grain, second with a fresh grass. He wasn't able do decide what to eat, so he died beeing hungry. Still waiting for your advices. :)
For Georg - when I was looking for prices of these two bodies, I haven't noticed big diference between prices of aria and st. Mayby I have to try once again.

I don't have either camera, so this is just for the sake of discussion. My own tendency would be to buy a camera that is currently in production (the Aria), as opposed to one that has been discontinued (the ST).

Depending on where you buy it, a used Aria is much cheaper ($339 vs $616, today, both "Excellent" in one of the premier 2nd-hand dealers in the US-- I don't have any idea what the prices in Europe are). The prices for servicing the cameras (again in America) (according to the Kyocera website) are also different: $175 the ST, $155 the Aria.

Buying without a warranty is always somewhat risky. Considering the excellent reputation of the Aria, I would definitely choose it. And, if one starts talking about accessories, I think the databack for the Aria is excellent, and allows you to record all the technical information of the picture. I would like to have that!

A handy chart comparing Contax cameras can be found at:
http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/contax.htm

Georg, what is the advantage of a "ceramic pressure plate"?

In any case, corben_dallas, good luck with your choice.

Juan

Hello,

I am tending to agree with most people here; the Aria is a fragile camera and not as tough as the other Contax branded bodies. I do not know why this is the case but mine body's shutter speed circuit shorted just after a few months of owning it. I have not had this type of problem with 139Q or RTS II. It is a good camera and it really depends a lot on luck AND how much you will actually be using it. I wouldn't suggest it, if you are a full time photographer pulling perhaps 5-10 rolls per job.

I hope this helps,

Vishal.

Hi again,
corben_dallas, sorry for making your decision more difficult, but when I read all those contributions in favour of the Aria, I had to give a statement for the ST. I think comparing the Aria to the ST is a little critical, because it means comparing cameras which play in different leagues. Both cameras are excellent, but one of them is made for heavy duty, the other one is not. Before I bought my second hand ST I owned a 167 MT, the Aria's predecessor. I did not like the push button controls of the 167, so I had a look at the Aria. Both of them are entry level cameras (that's the way Contax called it, I think), nevertheless their built quality seems to me better than that of many semi-pro cameras of other manufacturers. I would have bought the Aria, but then I had the opportunity to lay my hands on an ST, and it feels and sounds much better! Maybe the additional strength, built quality and reliability is not necessary for everybody, for me it was and still is very important.
Concerning the Aria's databack: every ST has a databack which can record date and time between the frames. If that is not enough you can get a databack which can imprint text and other data and which you can use for timed exposures.
The ceramic pressure plate serves the same main purposes as the one in the RTS III: precision and durability. This pressure plate can not corrode and can not easily be scratched.
By the way: before I bought the ST I called Contax/Yashica Customer Service in Germany and asked if and how long they could service and repair it. For many, many years, they told me ...
Having said this in favour of the ST I must repeat that both the Aria and the ST are excellent cameras, you will not make a mistake, whatever you decide!
Regards
Georg

Hi Georg,

"If that is not enough you can get a databack which can imprint text and other data and which you can use for timed exposures."

What model number back is this for the ST?

Though Contax might call their Aria an entry level camera, I believe Porsche calls the Boxster an entry level Porsche ;-)

Regards,

Austin

Hi Vishal,

"the Aria is a fragile camera and not as tough as the other Contax branded bodies."

Though you obviously had an issue with your Aria, I still don't believe the Aria a "fragile" camera. I have not heard anyone else claim this. I have had one for years, and would not call it fragile at all. I've also had no problems with it. Does anyone else have any Aria "fragile" related problems? There is an issue I've heard about the matrix meter and that a few people have had an electrical problem (which removing the batteries to reset solves in most cases, as the camera has an Electro Static Discharge protection circuit that needs to be reset)...but neither of those has to do with it being "fragile".

Now, I wouldn't drive nails with it, and I would with my RTS-III...

Regards,

Austin

Hi Austin,
the databack is called "D-7". It can also be used with the 167 MT.
I like the Boxter very much, but I would prefer the 911 Turbo or Carrera if money did not matter. Maybe we should go on in the Porsche Forum, unfortunately I cannot afford any Porsche at all;-)
Regards
Georg

Even if you don't use it as a hammer, the number of complaints about the Aria is greater than average, certainly greater than one may expect from such an expensive body. Even if some problems may be fixed (well, for the time being), this in itself makes Aria a potentially unreliable thing.
Those who were not so lucky to own an Aria that works, cannot be expected to sing its praise - or can they?
Frank

Hi Frank,

"the number of complaints about the Aria is greater than average, certainly greater than one may expect from such an expensive body."

What complaints? The only ones I've heard are the matrix metering is "off", which may simply be a use issue, and that some people have tripped the ESD protection circuit, which is clearly stated in the manual that this may happen, and that the solution is to remove and replace the batteries. So, I'm not quite sure what complaints you are referring to. Would you mind stating them?

Regards,

Austin

Back