DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 645Zoom 4590

G

As I already announced 2 weeks ago, the new Zeiss zoom is now available. Here the copy of the official press release:

"New Vario-Sonnar T* f/4.5 45-90mm Mid-Range Lens, Perfect Match for Photo-Journalists and Wedding Photographers

SOMERSET, NJ - Kyocera Optics, Inc., announces the introduction of the new Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/4.5 45-90mm lens for the Contax 645 system. The compact Vario-Sonnar T* 45-90mm lens incorporates the Dual Focus Mechanism and has a fast, constant aperture of f/4.5.

The Vario-Sonnar T* 45-90mm lens is a perfect one-lens solution that meets the needs of professional photographers, especially those in the wedding industry, by providing moderate wide angle to normal coverage. The lens is also a perfect choice for general, landscape, event and location photography. The lens is approximately equivalent to a 28-55mm (in 35mm format) and allows for greater flexibility when space is limited and working distances do not allow the use of a longer focal length lens.

The latest optical and eco-glass technology were used to develop this lens, resulting in unsurpassed contrast and color reproduction, the hallmark of Carl Zeiss T* lenses. In addition, the new Carl Zeiss 45-90mm lens takes full advantage of Carl Zeiss’ improved internal baffling system technology that controls stray light increasing contrast and image quality.

In addition, the Carl Zeiss T* Vario-Sonnar is supplied with a Contax Three Year Limited Warranty" (in USA).

Specifications:

Number of elements: 12
Number of groups: 10
Max. aperture: f/4.5
Focal Length: 45.9-87.5 mm
Negative size: 56x41.5 mm
Angular field 2w: 74,3¡ã - 43,4¡ã diagonal
Mount: Contax 645 mount
Aperture scale: 4,5, (5,6), 8, 11, 16, 22, 32
Filter connection: 95 mm screw-in type
Distance range: ¡Þ to 0,5 m
Weight: approx 1200 g
Position of entrance pupil: a) 39,2 mm behind the first lens vortexb) 31,5 mm behind the first lens vortex

The street price of the Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 45-90mm lens is $2,900.00.

I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences with this lens already. I am seriously considering ordering it, and would be glad to hear some feedback.

> Posted by Marc Koegel on Friday, July 19, 2002 - 2:22 am: > > I was wondering if anybody has had any experiences with this lens > already. I am seriously considering ordering it, and would be glad to > hear some feedback.

If you visit the archives of the list at www.contaxslr.com, you can find some recent posts from Kaisern Chen. While these mostly deal with the N Digital camera, he does make some very positive comments about the new zoom, particularly liking the build and optical quality.

Brian

Hi Marc,

I have not used the lens so far, but what I have heard from others, it seems to be very impressive. The finish seems to be even more robust, smooth and elegent then the N1-zoom lenses. If you want to use it for the 645 it is definitely worth to buy it, but for the N1/Nx the zoom range is not big enough, it is heavy and has just the aperture of 4. This is not very much, considering the weight.

From my experience with a similar zoom lens on a Mamiya 645, manual focusing will be very difficult in low light conditions because it is a f4.5 lens and wide angle. f4.5 is pretty dark for a wide angle, I'm assuming this is an AF lens, it appears to be based on the image. I guess "dual focus mechanism" is tech weenie code for AF and manual focusing?

I just ordered my 45-90/4.5 Vario-Sonnar, and will be posting my first impressions once I had a chance to take it for a day's test-shoot. It should be especially interesting to directly compare it to the Contax primes in the same focal length's, and I will aim to post some information about that as well.

Uuuaaaahhhhhhh ...., you have to pay Euro 3999.- in Germany. Kyoceras website says $ 2900.-. Why this ?

Uli

If anyone is interested, I may be able to provide for new Vario-Sonnars in Europe at Euro 4250,--.

US Pricing of new Contax 45-90

According to my German dealer's information Yashica Japan will correct the "mistyped" price (2,900 $) for the new Contax 645 Zoom 45-90 given on http://www.contaxcameras.com. The European street price of around 3,900 EUR is correct.

I checked out the new Contax 45-90 today at Houston Camera Exchange and the "sticker" price was $2900. I'm not sure what the current exchange rate is for USD/EUR but 3,900 seems high. I also saw the lens posted by B&H for $2900. I didn't buy the lens but will wait for the 90-180.

Back