CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

G2 general questions

afranklin

Hi John,

> But when > would you need to have AE Lock separate from AF Lock? (Please give an > ex&le.)

If the subject you want in precise focus (or in the center of your depth of field focus) has a different exposure than you want.

> Wouldnt your subject be the point of focus all the time and > wouldnt you want your subject to be properly exposed? (eg. a human > face in the shade on a bright day).

Picture a child in a museum...they are standing behind a science exhibit that you want in focus, and you want them out of focus, but...you want the exposure to be correct for them.

I focus on one thing, and expose for another quite a lot of the time...

Regards,

Austin

saspencr

Austin, good ex&le. Another ex&le is a backlighting situation when you can't get close to meter without errors from a strong backlight. Eg., someone is standing under a tree in fairly dark shade but a strong sunlight is coming through the tree behind them. In this case, I would meter with the camera pointed down enough to eliminate the sun through the trees, lock exposure, and then focus on my subject. Hope that helps. Scott

wilsonlaidlaw

John, This is a situation I am coming across frequently particularly at this time of year when one is often shooting with a low sun. I will usually take an exposure from behind me and lock it with the AEL switch. When I turn round to compose and take my photo, how I want it composed may end up with a horizontal line or repeat pattern (e.g. brickwork) in the focus box of the G2. It will not therefore pick up a focus. I then move off centre to pick up a focusable (is that a proper word?) object at the correct distance, lock the focus with the shutter button, re-centre and shoot. I know it sounds involved but even after using a G2 for only four weeks or so, it has become a mentally patterned set of actions, which I do not really need to think about. Wilson

wilsonlaidlaw

Having been a little sceptical over the need to use the focus lock button as a lock rather than as an exposure/focus check button, which I frequently do, yesterday I came across a set of circumstances where the focus lock on the shutter release just does not do the job. I was in Vichy taking pictures of the very fine "Fin de Siecle" buildings on a Monday when there is much less traffic. Many of the streets are quite narrow and one takes in the portrait position. Because the predominance of vertical features, the camera will not pick up a focus. You can of course rotate the camera to the normal position, pick up a focus by half pressing the shutter release and then rotate back to portrait. The problem is that ou almost always end up pressing the shutter release as you rotate the camera and taking the photo at 45 degrees. You do need the separate focus lock button in these circumstances. It does need a bit of manual dexterity to use I have to say. Wilson

planar

Wilson, the separate focus lock button os on the rear of the camera and not just in the shutter release. Holding the camera in your right hand where your thumb rests is the focus command switch put the camera on manual and press the button inside the switch the camera then will autofocus and keep that setting as long as you keep your thumb on the button. This means that as soon as you press the shutter release the shutter fires instantly as it does not try to autofocus.
Try this setting and just do the same but use your thunb rather than your forefinger to focus then fire the shutter, makes a big difference.
Bob.

wilsonlaidlaw

Bob, Many thanks for suggestion, that was what I had been trying to do but was finding the manoeuvre difficult. I am quite arthritic and my right thumb joints in particular just will not obey commands from CPU. I will try putting a lump of "Bluetak" on the focus lock button to see if that helps. Wilson

afranklin

Can someone with a 28/2.8 check something with this lense out for me? Does the focus seem to "drag" at the close focusing distance? I check this by setting the focus to manual, and setting the focus to .5M and pressing the focus button on the back. On the 28, it sounds like it struggles at the end of the travel. I know it's not the camera, or the batteries, as this test shows no issue with the 45 or the 90.

Regards,

Austin

P

paul_drouillard

--->>Can someone with a 28/2.8 check something with this lens out for me? Does the focus seem to "drag" at the close focusing distance? I check this by setting the focus to manual, and setting the focus to .5M and pressing the focus button on the back. On the 28, it sounds like it struggles at the end of the travel. I know it's not the camera, or the batteries, as this test shows no issue with the 45 or the 90.

Greetings,

I've had exactly the same problem since day one, almost 2 years ago. I had a new body swapped and it did the same thing. I've checked a couple of friends cameras and they don't seem to have the problem. Might be able to tell you more soon being as we are picking up 6 new bodies in Detroit on Monday from the big sale. We must be nuts or something.

I was going to suggest we start a G2 club after. We could call it the "G Spot". :)

Paul

afranklin

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info. I take it that you believe it's a body problem, not a lense problem, as the same 28 didn't show this problem on another body?

> Might be able to tell you more soon being as we are picking up 6 new > bodies in Detroit on Monday from the big sale.

Er, what big sale in Detroit?

Regards,

Austin

P

picturetaker

There are no focusing Problems with the G1&G2. Make shure you got a new battery and clean the contacts on the lens and camera.
Assuming you read the using guide and handle the camera like its disingned for.
Its a great camera i love it.

P

paul_drouillard

Greetings,

I did indeed put my lens on a friend's G2 and there was no problem. He didn't have a 28 for me to try on my camera.

We just had the cameras shipped to Detroit. They won't honour rebates etc to Canadians. Must have been something we said :)

Paul

afranklin

Hi Paul,

> I did indeed put my lens on a friend's G2 and there was no problem. He > didn't have a 28 for me to try on my camera.

I just checked the focus by turning the slotted focus connection on the lense with a screwdriver, and it is indeed stiff at the end of travel...so I'm going to return it to the seller, hopefully without any problem, and simply get another one. How unfortunate. It seems like a very nice lense.

Regards,

Austin

P

paul_drouillard

greetings,

I'll have to check mine out when I get time. I actually had never thought of doing that. Thanks for the tip.

Paul

D

dork

> Hi, > I'm planning on buying a G2 + 28/2.8 + 90/2.8 for use as a travel system, for a trip I plan to take next spring. For either of these lenses, are there any issues with vignetting when using the Contax metal hoods and Contax UV filters together, or separately? I would just assume have hood and UV on both lenses all the time, if there are no issues.

Also, I found a used 90/2.8 for $250 (condition is 9+). Would this lens most likely be good as new in terms of reliability, given the 9+ rating?

Thanks, Doug

panamacolin

Doug,
I have the 90mm and used to have 28mm, but sold it because I have the 35mm and prefer it. The 35mm stays on my camera 90% of the time. Anyways, About your questions with hoods and filters I have not had any of problems you ask about. The one thing I do not like about the hoods is that you can see them in the bottom right hand corner of the viewfinder...but this does not affect the image. As for the 90mm for $250.00 in 9+ condition, this sounds a bit high to me. I got one from Jacks camera in 9+ with hood for 190 shipped. I have bought alot of other things from them so I got a discount...but anyways you should be able to get it cheaper than that from them....Look them up at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
really friendly and like to help you out...dont be afraid to ask for a deal.

Best of luck,
Colin thomas

coodeville

I myself like having the 28, 45 and the 90. The 45 is th step between the 28 and the 90. Notice how 45 is almost 1.75x the focal length of the 28? The 35 is just too close to a 28 for me to consider purchasing. If I had the 35 from the get go, I would think the same of the 28.

As far as price goes, I myself own the black version. So deals are not as common as for titanium. Contax isn't even offering a rebate for any of the black items any more. I got my three lens set about 9 months ago and recieved a $150 rebate. That's nothing compared to what they are offering now on new purchases. Maybe you would be better off going new?

jsmisc

Are the rebates only offered in the USA? I haven't seen any mention of them in the UK.
John

smartrav

> Doug Pearl asked: are there any issues with vignetting when using the > Contax metal hoods and Contax UV filters together, or separately?

Answer:

I did some tests last spring and this is what I found. The biggest problem with vinetting is w the wide angle lens. Then f/# plays a role too. See the chart. ------------------------------------------------------ This is imperial data observed from Zeiss lenses mounted on a Contax G2 35mm camera. The issue is vignetting when using more than one filter on a lens. Ex&le, 3 filters

Lens No. filters/ size results

90mm 3 46mm filters okay all f/#s

45mm 3 46mm filters okay all f/#s

35mm 3 46mm filters okay f/2 through f/5.6 2 46mm filters okay all f/#s

28mm 3 46mm filters no f/#s okay 2 46mm filters okay all f/#s 3 55mm filters okay all f/#s

21mm 3 55mm filters no f/#s okay 2 55mm filters okay f/2 to f/11 1 55mm filter okay f/2 to f/16

April 15, 2003 djv

wilsonlaidlaw

Can anyone remind me where I can download a copy of G2 manual, as I have had to leave my original behind in my flooded house in France last week (23cm of rain in 48 hours). Going on holiday to USA and know if I don't have a copy of the manual, Murphy's law will dictate there will be something I need to look up.