CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

G2 general questions

coodeville

This is new. I tried looking for a downloadable manual a year ago. I couldn't find it and Kyocera told me they didn't have one.

R

rickd

I find that I can open and print the online manuals, but cannot save them to my PC. Is this the experience of others?

thanks,

--Rick

albert4321

Rick,

I just tried and was able to download the PDF Contax manual to my PC.

When the manual is displayed on your browser, click the "floppy disc" icon (2nd button from the LHS, right next to the red Adobe logo). If it does not work for you, you may need to update your Acrobat plug in from the Adobe website.

Albert.

saspencr

now that we have it in digital form, i wonder if someone could separate out the different languages into separate books. that would make it easier to read. scott=20

wilsonlaidlaw

Scott,

As I have full version of Acrobat 5 not just reader, after Xmas festivities and holiday to USA is over, I will have a go at doing separate language versions. I have forgotten - is there a posting area on Contaxinfo I could put these for general use, unless of course there is a copyright problem? Wilson

wilsonlaidlaw

Finally managed to download G2 manual - what a nightmare to do so. I had to use the Acrobat webpage downloader to do it, as Kyocera's download is set open automatically in Acrobat reader, without the initial save option and downloads only page by page, so you have to open 112 pages. If you try to save it with the usual click on the diskette sign, it crashes time after time, just at the end of a 12.8mb download.

The manual appears to be basically the English version with only a small amount of German, so no further work required.

Thanks to all who pointed me in the correct direction.

Wilson.

saspencr

Actually there would be a copyright *problem* if you distributed it to the public. However, under the fair use standard you should be able to make your own language version. You could distribute with permission though. Might be as easy as sending an email to someone in marketing at Contax!!
Scott

daleh

> type your text here!By the time you spent all that time and paid for paper and ink, you could have called Kyocera and ordered one. They are available as a "spare part" I believe. I got one about four years ago.

coodeville

I have a dial up connection. I downloaded the manual while I was eating dinner. It's a B&W copy. Last year, when I was looking for one, Kyocera did not offer this. I ordered one and they sent me three. The cost was 14 bucks. I purchased my G2 used. I really didn't need or want a genuine manual. The download, if available, would have been fine.

R

rickd

Albert,

Thanks for the tip; worked like a charm!

Now, here's a thought for the tech wizards out there. Could the .pdfs be uploaded to a PDA for field reference (along w/ DOF charts, hyperfocal distance lists, etc.)?

Best,

Rick

cjorge

Rick,

You can transfer/convert from a PC to a PDA (Palm OS or MS-Pocket PC) almost every type of document or image (ex.: .pdf's, Hyperfocal.xls or .jpg's files).

I have a Palm, the Tungsten C model, and I'm astonished by the capacity and usefulness of such a small piece of hardware.

Best, Carlos

R

rickd

Thanks Carlos. I've been collecting excuses for buying a nice PDA, and this is a really good one! My wife has an iPAQ which I'm ashamed to say I covet to an irrational degree (but have no "real" need for, unlike she).

A portable field reference library would be very handy.

Best regards,

Rick

wilsonlaidlaw

Sorry to spoil the party. I have just downloaded and installed Adobe Reader for Palm in my PDA and then done the conversion and hot-sync load for the G2 manual. Regret to advise on my Handspring Treo 600 the manual is next to unreadable and I have deleted it. It might work better on pocket PC's, as I think they generally have larger and higher definition screens. Wilson

relmhill

>>I don't understand the focusing system. Is it true that the viewfinder does not show the image in or out of focus, and you have to rely on the distance scale on the LCD readout on top of the camera? Can someone explain briefly how the hell this works? Isn't not being able to confirm focus visually a rather large disadvantage?<<

Doug:
In auto focus mode the distance scale is shown in the viewfinder, e.g., 45 mm lens shows:
0.5, 0.7, 1, 1.5, 2, 3, 5, Inf (meters)
If you have locked focus on something shown in the focus frame, an indicator will either be under one of the numbers in the scale or between two of them.
I found it relatively easy to tell if I had focused on what I had intended, and my first roll thru the camera had everything focused the way I had wanted.
Rangefinders can't show the focus plane in the viewfinder because the lens is not included in the path, as it is with an SLR.
In manual focus mode the distance is shown in the display on top of the camera. However, I wouldn't buy the G2 if manual focus was what I wanted to do.
I spent 45 min to an hour testing the focus system and most of the other functions in the camera store before I decided to buy. If you can rent one, that's even better.
Hope this helps.