DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

My Sigma DC 50-100/1.8 EF FR on the G9

Tom Caldwell

I have not been on a band night expedition for a while but I was really wanting to test out this very heavy lens of unique specifications. As large and heavy as a sizable zoom but not a long zoom at all. Focal reduced it was a 35-70/1.3 and capable of putting is full aps-c image circle on the 4/3 sensor. Its AF is slightly wonky and it is sharper with MF - but MF with a big heavy lens with an active band was a bit hard. I was not sure that it had worked on the night but it seems to have scrubbed up a bit better than I thought.

The Band "Golden Gaytimes" at the Hoey Moey Pub Coffs Harbour Saturday 15 April 2023

PG9_4711-011.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G9
  • 71.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/160 sec
  • Other
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 1250

PG9_4727-011.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G9
  • 71.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.4
  • 1/160 sec
  • Other
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 200

PGBL0216 1-011.jpg
  • Panasonic - DC-G100
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.7
  • 1/200 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 2500

B&W for just the fun of the action

Not seen many from a focal reducer, so very interesting to see and man, certainly sharp enough Tom. I have thought about focal reduces but never gone beyond that. Nice to see one at work. No complaints from here.

Danny.

Sigma has an intersting bunch of EF lenses in their DC series which has an aps-c image circle - when focal reduced to M4/3 it puts slightly more than its image circle on the 4/3 sensor. So they effectively work to the same nominal focal length as they do on an aps-c sensor body. Plus an extra stops worth of light.

Sigma is unlikely to be making any more EF lenses, less likely the DC type. I just happened to already have electronic adapters EF-M4/3 so it was relatively easy to introduce some Sigma DC type ones.

Back