DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Imperfection inside elements dust or lint

G

I have owned 6 Contax Carl Zeiss Lenses.
25mm, 28mm,50mm f/1.4,85mmf/1.4,135mmf/2.8, 28-70mm
5 of them has at least a couple pieces of lint or dust inside elements. All of them I purchased in Brand New Condition..... I has been suffering with Kyocera Quality Conrol. They always lets the bad lenses slip through. I just wondering to know if any of Contax users have faced the same problem.????. I am quite dissappointed about this because I has spent a lot of money to buy the New condition of this particular Lenese and most of them always let me down. I also sent two of them to get serviced recently due to the problems mentioned. Some might say it won't effect the optical quality but think again carefully when you invest in a new equipment, of course you would expect 100% condition with no defects at all. Do you agree with me?????

Jermsak, I've also experienced something similar with fleks appearing on the inner glass as the lenses get older. Did the servicing cost you or was it covered by warantee?

A curious thing happened to me. A couple of months ago I bought a 2nd-hand Distagon 35mm/F2.8. It had a small spot on the inside of the back element, so I got it for a good price. Recently, I again tried to find that spot..... but couldn't! My theory is the spot was somehow related to moisture, and just evaporated.
What do you think?

To Nick Bardsley
All of my Contax lenses are still under warranty therefore I have just spent on the postage(insured) to Carl Zeiss Germany for fully inspection and cleaning. To do this you will need a copy of the original receipt and a warranty paper sending along with your lens. I returned my 50mm twice to Carl Zeiss Germany due to incompleted inspection and cleaning(a peice of dust still was found when received first time). Now I am looking for the possibility to upgrade my Contax Systems to Leica Systems!!! My story can be a significant evidence showing that Zeiss Lenses is not No.1 in the world!!!

> To Jermsak Teschadech, I can understand your dissatisfaction with finding a piece of dust inside a new Zeiss lens, and the disappointment in sending it in twice before it is properly cleaned. As for warranty work, and problems with new products, people have had these things happen with both Leica and Zeiss. However, a piece of dust will not likely be discernable, much as a bubble in the glass. It might make the flare level higher. The best way to assess the quality is to actually take photos with a tripod, nice lighting, and fine-grained film that has good color properties that you like. A recent point in the Zeiss website is that they are using Fuji Velvia in some of their testing. A side by side comparison (same lighting, film, time) with your Contax and the Leica system you are thinking of buying will tell you a lot more. Best wishes.

Back