DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax 167MT

G

The Contax 167MT came out in 1987. It was the first camera to include auto-bracketing and shutter speeds 16 sec - 1/4000th. Metering options were spot or center-weighted.

IT was my first REAL Contax body. Prior to that I was using my few Zeiss lenses on a Yashica 108MP. That was quite an jump in build quality.
The 167MT has its quirks but it is still quite an enjoyable camera to use.

The engineers designed the 167MT to use a toggle switch system for making certain camera settings. You can still set aperture via the aperture ring on the lens but setting shutter speed requires the use of a button/toggle switch combination. It makes less convenient to use the camera in Tv or full manual mode but Av or Program modes are just like any other camera.

In the standard 167MT, the tripod socket is off center making it more difficult to keep steady on a tripod. However, the addition of the optional P5 battery holder not only solves this problem (by giving you a perfectly centered tripod socket) but allows the use of 4 AA batteries instead of the standard AAA. The P5 also makes the camera larger in the hands which makes it more comfortable for people with larger hands. It is the essential accessory of the 167!

Contax 167MT is the first SLR in the world having the ABC exposure feature. After a quick set to ABC, three photos with over-/under-/normal exposure will be taken once the shutter is released. It is particularly useful for beginner or in case of complex lighting situation at which you cannot make sure which is the correct exposure and cannot afford to miss the spot.
I agree the less dependant on this feature will result when your photography experience is growing. Nevertheless, it is a attractive feature.
Finally, I am quite disappointed that 167MT does not privide the muti-exposure feature.
It is strongly recommended for those seeking for a budget-priced SLR Contax!

I own an Aria and I am considering the purchase of a second Contax body. It appears that I might be able to find a used RTS II or 167 MT in the range of $250 to $350. The 167 MT has the advantage of being most like my Aria, however, the RTS II is appealing because of its more basic features and solid build. Any opinions on the relative merits of each camera? Is any one more likely to have problems given light to moderate future use? Thanks for any ideas on this.
This message also posted under RTS II
Dennis

Hi Dennis!

I would rather consider buying a 167MT, because there might be a better chance to get it repaired in case of damage. RTSII is out of production since many years, if anything gets ruined, the camera gets worthless. But take care with the 167MT: through the slot to lighten all finder´s information in some condition there will fall in some light which disturbes the metering. Keeping this in mind, You will have lots of joy with this Contax (I own it for 15 years and I love it - and will never change it to an Aria due to its better building quality).

Regards
Wolfgang

Yes, the 167MT has a better build than Aria, I've been using 167MT for almost 10 years, no problem at all, except for its external battery holder P-6. The P-6 is now out of order. I made a little operation on P-6 so that I can still use its"body" only together with my 167MT. Of course, it can't use AA-type battery any more...but it still make me have a confort and stable grasp.

For a used 167MT, please check very carefully of its electronic functions to see whether it's properly work or not. Good luck.

John Un and others wrote: "the 167MT has a better build than Aria".

I would like to know what kind of experience or other argument that make you people write this. Or is it just speculation/prejudice?

Jakob

Hi Jakob!

Well, my opinion bases on informations from Yashica; a serviceman told me that the intire interior is made of plastic - so I speculate that thsi Aria has not the eequal quality than my 167MT, but I do not have real experiences. BTW the T2 which I use since 10 years is inside also complete plastics, and what a wonderful tool it is!

What I really dislike with the Aria is the "plastic feel", all switches seem to be "cheap".

Regards
Wolfgang

> Jakob, I have to disagree with you about the Aria feeling cheap. I had one > a couple of years ago, with two zooms and the 85 2.8 (I think). It was > delight to travel with and to use, felt well made and well balanced, was > small and yet very good to handle, with all the controls in the instinctive > place for ease of use. I have never had a 167MT, but whatever the > materials from which the Aria is made, it feels like quality all through.

I only sold it because I needed autofocus. Robin

> Jakob !

Oops ! That last message should have been addressed to Wolfgang ! My apologies. Robin

Hi
I have just purchased an aria plus 85mm 2.8,Have been realy pleased with it.It is a light weight body but well made.Modern plastics are just as strong as metal, and unless you are going to be dropping it on the floor etc there should not be a problem ,at the moment i can not see that the arias body should be a problem exposure has been good matrix metering sometimes gives an exposure differant to C.W metering but it will tell this in the viewfinder.It is superb for walking about due to size and weight.The only problem would be if you put a huge heavy lens on the front the balance may go out.The viewfinder is good for focus etc..
People who moan about it should try it I know some people say about focusing being out but as it is a manual focus camera this could be down to operator error shallow depth of field fast moving target etc..It is camera to learn with I think its great have had a nikon f90 heavy camera so did not take it out with me this body goed out more .its nice to go back to taking real photos and you can have it complety manual or auto.
One other thought thses babies very rarely come up on the secound hand market so I think that says something.
Marcus.

Back