DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I just bought a copy of "Asahi Camera" magazine and the inside front cover has an ad for the new Fuji GX645AF, confirming that Fuji are marketing the Hasselblad H1 in Japan under their own brand.

I've seen the camera on a site...can't remember where, maybe an English retailers' web site if I recall.
It's all black, same camera. Don't know if the lenses are exactly the same but I would assume they are.

It is going to be interesting to see how this H1 system contends with the C645. I thought long and hard when I purchased the C645 just recently and there are no regrets.

The C645 is a wonderfully engineered camera! Besides the battery consumption issue + flash sync, I don't think are too many revisions needed. How far can one take technology into the medium format?

Its quite interesting to see how Hasselblad as a company has decided to outsource its engineering work to Fuji for the H1. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, its just that it makes people more comfortable if Hasselblad were to design, engineer and manufacture their own cameras (outside of the lenses of course). The whole thing about Fuji marketing the same camera with the same features and lenses in the Japanese market, in my opinion, is undermining the Hasselblad name. People who invest into Hasselblad, whether we want to believe it or not, do so because of the name and the quality it suggests. I don't blame them because Hassey produces a quality product (500,501,503).

sang Luu

Hi John,
I had the same problem with my new 645. In my case, it happened every 5 shots and the camera could not properly sync with electronic flash whether on hotshoe on through PC terminal. Fortunately, I was able to exchange it with a new one with the dealer. Never been told the reason of the malfunction though.
It is a very bad experience since I have never had such a problem with any of my new camera gears whether mechanical or electronic, new or used. I sent my complain email to Kyocera and they adviced that I contact local distributor which I did not.

I bought my Contax 645 last month and have only run a dozen rolls of film through it so far so I am very much a novice.
One problem that needs addressing on an updated version of this camera is the film back lock button which I find a pain to use. Pressing and twisting a button that is smaller than your finger tip and surrounded by an immovable shroud is not an elegant design.Perhaps this could be fixed by Contax long before a 645 model 2 arrives.
Les Jones

While I am not quick to defend a company that treats its' customers the way Contax does, I must say that the Lock button on the back works very fast and sure once you get the technique down. Give it a little time and it'll become second nature.

I also bought my C645 recently during the Contax day sale. The price was just to attractive to pass on. Besides, I was so sick and tried of the manual Hasse and Mamiya that I have used for years. They are great gears but out dated and not friendly to use. I did consider the Hasselblad H1 a little bit. But I like the idea that I can share my C645 lenses with my N system. And I know that the pricing for the new H1 will be out of my reach, especially when it just comes out without any rebate.

I love the C645, the handling is just great. I have also purchased a MP-1 battery and Polaroid back. I have done a lot of studio shooting with strobes and I have not have a single problem.

I did report (in a different thread) a problem with the Polaroid back earlier, which the camera will turn off itself and won’t wake up. The very next day, I decided to give it a try before I exchange it. Only this time it worked perfectly. I did a whole day studio shoot with the Polaroid back on and off more than 10 times and the camera never turned itself off anymore. Besides, I could wake the camera up using any buttons from the camera body or the MP-1 grip.

Lesson learned:
1. Old dog new tricks – take your time to learn new gear. Since I was shooting in the studio, I mounted my camera on a tripod. It surely gave me a better and more stable position to mount the back, comparing to mount it on my lap. Now that I know there is no problem with the back, if it does not work, I know it is an operator error. After spending enough time on it, I am able to mount the back in any position without any problem.
2. Break in – I believe things take time to break in. Especially the person’s mind set and the way they used to the old habits.

However, I find that the Polaroid back is very difficult to mount comparing to the other MF cameras, especially with the MP-1 grip on the camera. To be able put the C645 with the polar back on a tripod, you need the MP-1 grip in order to give enough clearance. Unless you buy the expensive quick release adapter. Who needs the adapter when all of my tripod heads have QR plates. Besides, the MP-1 battery grip keeps the camera going for long, long time.

In summary, I am a happy man with the C645. I just like to share my experience with other Contax users.

Albert.

I just purchased the MP-1 Battery Grip, but it came without instructions.
Can anyone scan these in for me?
Colin

This is to address Albert's comment on mounting clearance for the C645 w/a Polaroid back on a tripod... I found the Arca Swiss head with a Really Right Stuff anti-twist quick plate (for the C645) to be a good solution for me. It holds the camera very well in a vertical orientation with the 210mm and gives the Polaroid back plenty of room to be mounted. The center column on the Gitzo does need to be raised a couple of inches to allow some space for the Polaroid back in a vertical position, though.

Just to slightly break ranks for the ske of discussion. I made a mad dash to the store the other day to compare the new Mamiya 645 AFD to the Contax 645. I think they are two different animals. The Contax is extraordinarily smooth in it's AF lens movement, mirror action, winding and of course ergonomics. The Mamiya tends to be very "brutish" in it's actions and intent if you will. The manual focus override on the Contax is instant and "state of the art" while on the Mamiya, you really have to turn the camera to manual before the lens drive motors disengage. But these cameras are different in their "ideal" application. The Contax favors studio photography with the occasion of wanting to take the camera off the tripod and shoot freehand. The Mamiya system has NO timelag when you engage it...so grab shots at weddings are very achievable ... much more so than waiting 3-4 seconds for the C645 to warm up. If you have ever shot a fast moving event, 3 to 4 seconds can be a lifetime! So that's my opinion. Contax for the studio or "on location" model shoot...where the photographer controls ( or tries..) the flow and pace of the action. And the Mamiya for when you need to be more photojournalistic. I do hope that Contax brings a Rev. 2 to market quickly with improvements in speed, focus , and battery consumption. The Zeiss lenses truly deserve a best in class platform !

Alan

Back