DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What Flash should I buy for a Contax G1

panamacolin

Hi,
Just wondering what flash most of you use on your G1? I have read the vivitar 283 and 285 are very good flashes, but they are BIG. I was wondering if there are any satisfied people using the TLA140 for fill flash etc. Please let me know what flash you are using on your G1 and what your expierience is with it.

Thanks in advance...

Hi Colin,

I used the TLA 140 for some time with my G1 and was quite happy with it, so much so that after I sold my G1 and bought a G2 with a TLA 200, I'm now considering buying a 140 to use instead. Small, incredibly convenient, and for its size it does a terrific job. Fast cycle time too.

Only drawback is that perhaps it's underpowered for any kind of 'distance' shooting. And also, it uses a different size battery than the camera body - the TLA 200 uses the same batteries as the body. Don't know why Contax did that, perhaps a size issue.

Just my opinion.

good luck.

Mark Edwards

I do not like to use a flash, but the few times I have used it with the G1,= I have used a contax TLA 30, which has seemed to work just fine in auto mo= de. It is big, but has a higher guide number than the the two "G" flashses.= I think of the Vivitars as being non-TTL, but I am not sure about this.

Unlike many others, I was not satisfied with the TLA140 on my G1. It makes the combo top-heavy and pulls the camera over when carried by shoulder strap. Also, it is underpowered. The distance from the lens does a good job of reducing red eye, though. The TLA200 is much better in terms of center of gravity/balance and power, but produces major red eye with people. I think third party flashes will also produce "center of gravity" issues, but degree of annoyance will be an individual call. Michael

Colin Thomas wrote:

Hi,
Just wondering what flash most of you use on your G1? I have read the
vivitar 283 and 285 are very good flashes, but they are BIG. I was
wondering if there are any satisfied people using the TLA140 for fill
flash etc. Please let me know what flash you are using on your G1 and
what your expierience is with it.

Thanks in advance...

Colin,
I too purchased TLA 140...it is fine and light but it's N.G.is low (I use it for portrait and for low distance).
TLA 200 is a little expensive.....you can try to find an used TLA 20 (about 50 USD)with a N.G.= 20
It works very fine with G1 and G2 and it is also ligth and reduce red eye...or a bigger TLA 30 with N.G. = 30( but perhaps too much big for G1) but very good (about 75-100 USD).
Ciao.
Eugenio.

Back