DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Not sure about my Fuji XF 33mm/f1.4...

Yannis

Hi,
I recently tested the XF33/f1.4 and yes AF and IQ are both great! But, size and weight are also quite large, making the whole experience less enjoyable for me. Personally I don't need the WR (have the 35/f2 for that) and CAF may be worse with the old 35/f1.4 but not by that much that I cant take a nice portrait. I am seriously thinking of selling that lens and getting a used 35/f1.4 at a lower price. Any opinions on that? Am I crazy thinking of going back to the old 35/f1.4? By the way here is one of nice 33/f1.4 photos:

Hi,
I recently tested the XF33/f1.4 and yes AF and IQ are both great! But, size and weight are also quite large, making the whole experience less enjoyable for me. Personally I don't need the WR (have the 35/f2 for that) and CAF may be worse with the old 35/f1.4 but not by that much that I cant take a nice portrait. I am seriously thinking of selling that lens and getting a used 35/f1.4 at a lower price. Any opinions on that? Am I crazy thinking of going back to the old 35/f1.4? By the way here is one of nice 33/f1.4 photos:

Yep that's one way of looking at it.

But you do already have a small lens in the f2 so why do you want a small lens in a 1.4?

What you have in the 1.4 is the excellence of Fuji's most recent tech.
Optically it's better than the 35 (1.4 and 2). It's faster to focus, likely quieter and wr (over the 35 1.4).

Are you using it on an X-E series camera because otherwise the bulk would be more from the body than the lens.

I find the gear I own never reveals it's value until I look back (sometimes years later) at the images and then check the exif data to see what I used. In that moment I think "oh wow what a great lens" (or camera).

It's not the shots you didn't take with a lens you don't own that define you as a photographer.

On the downside it's double the weight and fifty percent longer than the 35 f1.4. But it's grams and millimetres not pounds and yards.

So does that truly matter, is that what's really stopping you?

Beautiful photo by the way. I like it very much.

Cheers
Paul

I tried the original Fuji 35/1.4. The AF speed---AND the manual focus speed, since it's focus by wire--- was so slow I didn't consider it a useable lens. Unacceptable. Returned it.

I did not like the original Fuji XF 35/1.4. The Zeiss Touit was better with lens flare and ghosting.

I bought the the XF 23/2.0 WR like you. I am very happy with it.

When the 33/1.4 came out, I looked at all the different YouTube reviews. The consenus was, that if you have already the 35/2.0 WR, there is no need for the 33, since they are from the image quality the same, except you pixel peep 800%.

Since the 33/1.4 is huge and I do not need F1.4, that decision was easy for me. :)

But I bought the new XF 23/1.4 WR, because that one is significantly better than the orignal XF 23/1.4

I think these newer lenses are the perfect combination of size, weight and IQ. I got the 18/1.4 last year and really enjoy it. It's about the same weight and size as the 33/1.4.
No problem. Okay, it's twice as heavy as the 35/1.4, but we're talking about 180g here....Keep your lens, you will always lose money

At the time, it was an XE-1. My existing 2013 copies of the 23/1.4 and 14/2.8 did not exhibit the laggy focus action on that camera.
Trying the 35mm 1.4 on my X-T3 (or more modern body) is like a new lens,
when it comes to AF performance/speed.

I was using my X-E1 today with my 18-55, it was tolerable, but still very slow.

I tried the original Fuji 35/1.4. The AF speed---AND the manual focus speed, since it's focus by wire--- was so slow I didn't consider it a useable lens. Unacceptable. Returned it.
When I first tried the 35mm F1.4, it felt very slow. I tried it with the X-T1. But then after a long time, I tried it again with X-T4. And the AF speed was quite good, I think the newer gen cameras with fast processor really helps.

Trying the 35mm 1.4 on my X-T3 (or more modern body) is like a new lens,
when it comes to AF performance/speed.

I was using my X-E1 today with my 18-55, it was tolerable, but still very slow.
Yes, I have the same experience. These older lenses gets a speed boost when using the new bodies like X-T3/4/5

Back