DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Let's be careful here

jimmsp

I was over at the revived forum and was reading a thread "for beginners" on ISO.
The main thrust of numerous posters was that they knew more than the last poster. I saw too much of this on DPR original.
Any beginner who would try to read this thread would drop his interest in cameras and move back to their smart phone.

Lets be careful here and not duplicate such self chest beating discussion.

I hardly ever posted in the Beginner's forum on DPR, mainly for that reason.
But I confess I did read some of the threads, but more out of a morbid need for 'entertainment'

I actually gave up in there a long time ago. Some so called photography teacher that uses a bridge camera! was giving ....... so called expert advice for bird in flight shots. Man I tell ya, the worst advice I had ever seen and pretty much impossible. So that was me out of there because he was always right! Ah ha. I mean what would some of us know, nothing. I just said I felt sorry for his students.

Danny.

I looked for a while. My thinking was: I'm not as smart as most of the folks here but maybe I can help some beginners.

That was wrong!

You'd think that a single experienced person's reply would get most newbies on their way (using Steve Martin's SNL voice): But Noooo!

I was over at the revived forum and was reading a thread "for beginners" on ISO.
The main thrust of numerous posters was that they knew more than the last poster. I saw too much of this on DPR original.
Any beginner who would try to read this thread would drop his interest in cameras and move back to their smart phone.

That kind of stuff has been quite evident already over there. It just can't be good for beginners

What would you expect? One of the forum founder there was among those who obsess on the definition (sometimes very narrow, sometimes ignore the commonly understanding of the word...). On DPR I must have to use "exposure" and "lightness" very carefully otherwise you would receive a lecture of 1000+ words... :eek::z04-headbanger: Any "underexposure" should be rephrased "dark" and "overexposure " should be "bright", "exposure meter" is wrong and every manufacturer should change it to "lightness meter" :z04-nein1:...

More people used phone nowadays is simply because of the learning curve of using camera for usable result. If a beginner forum could not receive simple enough answer from a simple question, it will discourage a lot of new comers.

My 2 cents.

Somehow, there needs to be a balance between the complaint that, on one hand:

"I asked what time it was and he tried to teach me how to build a watch"

And on the other:

Rude and obnoxious individuals who want answers to their questions to be either very simplistic absolutes (or confirmation of incorrect preconceptions) and who reject any attempt of well-meaning individuals trying to explain issues that are nuanced and that have intrinsic complexity. My observation is that such rude people tend to be very vocal and once exposed to replies more complex than "yes or no" unjustly label the individual responding as an "out-of-touch scientist" interested only in showing off. Totally and completely untrue and unfair.

I also think it's unfortunate that the existence of DPRForum and DPRevived has already resulted in an "us against them" mentality, both ways. From individuals who days ago were in the same community. Maybe this is just unavoidable human nature. I hope not. Very close to 100% of everyone in both forums is from the closed site DPReview. I've registered in both DPRForum and DPRevived. Others have, too. Why is it now necessary to view "the other site" as enemy or adversary or "not our kind of people?" I've posted messages and shared images on both of these forums. I don't see any reason not to. Limiting participation to only one is like loosing half the community that once existed.

My 2C.
Rich

I think this may all be an interesting study as things proceed. Like many others I have been watching several different forums and see distinct differences. At first I was surprised at how few posts were in the forums on some sites. But then as things proceeded began to see that maybe just as many subjects were discussed, but in simpler, more pleasant terms. A question is asked and 3 or 4 offer possible solutions, or a photo is posted and several respond how they like it and maybe post a similar photo of their own, where on the old dpr, the same posts would end up having 150 replies either arguing about what the question was meant to be, or how stupid the poster was, or how dumb the previous responder was, how the manufacturers don't know what they are doing and 3 page dissertations on the deep dark secrets of how they believe a digital camera actually works and exactly how everybody must totally understand these technical theories, use the same methods and $5,000 FF mirrorless cameras with $10,000 lenses or take up some other hobby that requires less brain power.

I also think it's unfortunate that the existence of DPRForum and DPRevived has already resulted in an "us against them" mentality, both ways. From individuals who days ago were in the same community.
If you are referring to my original post, I don't believe there was any "us vs them" expressed. I mentioned one post in one beginners thread, and said that I saw too much of this on the original DPR
The original post I referred to in the beginners thread was moved for the same reason I mentioned.

Maybe this is just unavoidable human nature. I hope not. Very close to 100% of everyone in both forums is from the closed site DPReview. I've registered in both DPRForum and DPRevived. Others have, too. Why is it now necessary to view "the other site" as enemy or adversary or "not our kind of people?"
Again, whose post are you referring to? I have not seen or implied that "the other" site is "our" enemy or adversary. Those are your words. I am registered on both sites as well, and have posted on both sites. I will continue to as I observe what happens.

I've posted messages and shared images on both of these forums. I don't see any reason not to. Limiting participation to only one is like loosing half the community that once existed.

My 2C.
Rich

Back