DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Feedback on E 1 wanted

Hi David,

I don't know how you would like to set up the AEL, but I just wanted it to lock the exposure upon operation of the button and hold it for as many frames as required, when a second operation of the button clears the memory .To do this I have mine set to mode 5. The memory is held until the camera goes into sleep mode.An interesting aspect of this is that normally the viewfinder display shuts down after about 6 or 7 seconds -AEL memory is held at this time.If the display is "woken up" with a light touch on the release button, then after this, the display will remain on until the camera switches to sleep mode (1,3,5 or 10 minutes) when the AEL is cancelled.Switching to review or menu modes also cancels the AEL.
AS regards shooting in RAW mode I havn't used this much only because the supplied RAW converter in both Olympus Viewer and Studio is so damn slow!!.I have to say however that I can't see any real increase in quality compared to TIFF.I hasten to add that this is only a very subjective opinion of course.Does anyone have any experience of other(faster!) RAW converters that will process files from the E-1?

Andy.

Hi BD,

Yes, I hear that the Photoshop CS converter does a good enough job - trouble is, I use Photoshop 7 and an upgrade to CS isn't available.I really think hard of forking out over 500GBP just to get a RAW converter that works at more than a snail's pace. I take it that in the CS converter one has "live" previews of white balance, exposure compensation etc. adjustments? (which isn't the case with the Oly. software).I might just have to download a trial version and check it out.

Regards,

Andy.

Hi all,

Further to my problems with E 1 and non compatible Magicstor card i have been told today by manager at CPW from whom i purchased the camera that it would be a problem originating from Olympus themselves. It would seem that it is a national problem due to a failure in testing the Magicstor card in the E 1 before commencing the promotion in its national outlet dealership. For a company aspiring to promote the camera as professional this hardly inspires confidence. I am happy to say that the feedback and response from CPW has been very good and i am confident that a satisfactory outcome will result. Apparently Olympus are looking for another card to become part of the offer and it should be available in a week or so.

We will have to see what they have to offer.

I am a little confused why Andy says that Photoshop 7 is not possible to upgrade to CS? I have just done so, and the RAW converter works very well within Photoshop CS.

The Camera Raw plugin in Photoshop CS does indeed do a pretty good job (and it is fast), but Olympus Studio provides excellent results with a lot less tweaking. It is dog slow, however. My money is on Phase One's C1-LE which will support .orf files withing a couple of weeks.

Photoshop CS is, in my opion a better way to go than Studio. Make sure the Camera Raw 2.2 plugin is installed and the advanced option is checked. Much faster, live histogram and previews, and as I use 2 other types of digital cameras it's a one size fits all solution.

My only problem with it has been that when it opens files in the RAW editor the white balance displayed is not the same as was set on the camera, a mater of 2 seconds to correct.

> Recently Adobe indicated that while there raw process was very good, that if the manufacturer of the camera had there own program it would be better to use that. I also shoot with two different systems and really prefer to use either olympus or nikon software.

el

I have found 2 problems with Studio. Oly seems to be unaware of the issues. My 30 trial is due to end and without any hope of resolution I'm bound to try to use PSCS Raw instead.

When transferring from Studio Browser to CS the imbedded colorspace isn't included.

When transferring from Studio Photo Editor the EXIF data is lost.

Can someone help with this? Am I doing anything wrong?

If you work straight to PSCS, ie not via Studio, embedded colour space is present, ie Adobe RGB is listed as space, which is what I set, as is EXIF data. I have found this runs true whether files are downloaded from camera or via Studio Camera Control.

I have given up using Studio for RAW handling as actions that take a fraction of a second in CS take 7 seconds in Studio.

The only problem I have with CS is white point does not transfer properly, ie if I have 5300k set it comes up as 4950.

Back